DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Too Much DIY!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My well pump has a 40/60 pressure switch on it. I am trying to adjust the switch so it is dead-on at 40 and 60. It has 2 adjustment screws. The adjustment instructions state:
  • Tighten screw #1 to increase cut-off and cut-on pressure (I interpret this as shifting the whole range up down (e.g., instead of 40/60, you can set it to 41/61))
  • Tighten screw #2 to increase cut-off pressure (I interpret this as shifting the high pressure upward (e.g., instead of 40/60, you can set it to 40/61))
My switch seems to run at 37/60. Screw 2 is completely loose, thus the high pressure (60) is at its loosest possible setting. Therefore, if I tighten screw 1 to shift 37 up to 40, it will inevitably increase 60 up to 63. Is there a way to avoid shifting 60 up to 63?

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Since screw 2 is already loose, I'm not sure whether the cut-out pressure would change. you'd probably just have to try tightening screw 1 and see what happens.

Any particular reason the 37/60 (or 40/63) is a problem? There's nothing particularly magical about those numbers as far as the operation of appliances, etc. that I know of. The pump that my FIL uses runs 33/52 without any issues.

·
Too Much DIY!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since screw 2 is already loose, I'm not sure whether the cut-out pressure would change. you'd probably just have to try tightening screw 1 and see what happens.
I already tried tightening Screw 1. It shifts the whole range up (e.g., 37/60 becomes 40/63).

Any particular reason the 37/60 (or 40/63) is a problem? There's nothing particularly magical about those numbers as far as the operation of appliances, etc. that I know of. The pump that my FIL uses runs 33/52 without any issues.
There is no valid reason to get it dead-on at 40/60. Everything will work just fine, I'm sure. I'm just slightly OCD and wondering if there was a way to lower the cut-off pressure. I just have to adjust my bladder tank so it is slightly under the 37 cut-on pressure.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I guess loosening up screw #2 a little more is the only thing left to try, short of replacing the switch...unless you can get over your OCD about it and just leave it alone.

·
Too Much DIY!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess loosening up screw #2 a little more is the only thing left to try, short of replacing the switch...unless you can get over your OCD about it and just leave it alone.
Haha! Trust me, I will get over my OCD before buying a new switch!🤣

·
Registered
460 Posts
If it helps your OCD at all, your typical pump gauge probably is not so accurate within +/- 2 psi so you cannot get closer than that with any certainty.
37/60 is fine, and raising the cutoff pressure will increase cycling which is not good for the pump.

·
Registered
appliances
1,147 Posts
It might be working as designed.
IIRC, 20 PSI is the min for sanitary reasons and 80 PSI is the max to prevent damage to plumbing fixtures. You've got some headroom, here.

BTW, since you bring it up, IMO OCD is not easily fixed, but your local library's copy of the DSM-V can advise you on this. You might be drawn to certain occupations but more so than arsonists are drawn to firefighting.

·
Too Much DIY!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, since you bring it up, IMO OCD is not easily fixed, but your local library's copy of the DSM-V can advise you on this. You might be drawn to certain occupations but more so than arsonists are drawn to firefighting.
Uh...I'm not sure why you even went on this tangent. I wasn't serious about a psychological disorder. I just happen to be a mechanical engineer who looks at nitty-gritty details and wonders why some things behave the way they do. The switch was off slightly, so I thought I'd ask some plumbing folks here. But no, I do not have a psychological disorder.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Have you checked the tank pressure? When fully empty (meaning the water pressure reads 0) the tank should be just about 2 psi less than the cut-in pressure on the switch. You can check it with a tire gauge and adjust with a bicycle pump.
When fiddling with the cut-in pressure, you should really adjust the tank pressure as well. Not that it sounds like you need to do any of this.

·
Too Much DIY!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you checked the tank pressure? When fully empty (meaning the water pressure reads 0) the tank should be just about 2 psi less than the cut-in pressure on the switch. You can check it with a tire gauge and adjust with a bicycle pump.
When fiddling with the cut-in pressure, you should really adjust the tank pressure as well. Not that it sounds like you need to do any of this.
Thank you. Yes, you are correct. I am in the process of checking the tank and the switch to ensure things are adjusted properly. I'll set the tank about 2psi under the cut-in pressure.

·
Registered
appliances
1,147 Posts
Uh...I'm not sure why you even went on this tangent. I wasn't serious about a psychological disorder. I just happen to be a mechanical engineer who looks at nitty-gritty details and wonders why some things behave the way they do. The switch was off slightly, so I thought I'd ask some plumbing folks here. But no, I do not have a psychological disorder.
I believed your bringing it up "gave me license". My bad. :(

·
Too Much DIY!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believed your bringing it up "gave me license". My bad. :(
No worries my friend. We'll just call it good. I think we just had a miscommunication, in that I was being silly with the OCD mention, but it sounded like you were being serious with the mention of a psychological disorder.
All is well my friend!;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just to chime in about how frustrating understanding the pressure switch functions can be,
I replaced my entire system in November of 2020 from the well pump to the water heater & everything in between. I now understand there are too many variables within a system to make standard concepts about the switches reliable.
I also adjusted the small spring to alter the cut off and once the spring became loose I was never able to get the factory setting back. The "experts" on other forums advised that once the small spring becomes loose the range should be a default 17 psi ...... We know that is not necessarily true because my "range" became greater at about 24.
In the end I just spent the twenty some dollars and replaced the switch for a second time.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
In the end I just spent the twenty some dollars and replaced the switch for a second time.
I've had to replace the switch on my FIL's about every 3 years, anyway, due to the mineral buildup on and around the diaphragm. I buy them in 2 packs now for about $30.

·
Too Much DIY!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The "experts" on other forums advised that once the small spring becomes loose the range should be a default 17 psi ...... We know that is not necessarily true because my "range" became greater at about 24.
Yah your situation is perplexing. Loosening the small one is supposed to lower the cut-off pressure, not raise it. Hmm, weird. And in my case, the spring is completely loose and the default pressure range between cut-on and cut-off is about 23psi. So these things definitely do not follow convention all the time. <shoulder shrug>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts