DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Over time, the door hinge on one of my kitchen cabinets has loosened (or something) so the door does not close completely. It also does not stay open.

I'm pretty sure these are Home Depot or Lowe's cabinets. I'm a renter, and I like to handle basic repairs myself, I enjoy learning how things work and how to fix them. This seems like an easy thing, but it sure has me stumped.

I made sure that the hinges are mounted tightly to the door and the frame, the screws are tight and do not wobble.

I've read a lot about adjusting these types of hinges, but I can't seem to get it right.

It looks like I just need to turn the adjustment screw, but no matter what I do, I seem to make it worse.

I've attached some photos of the door and the two hinges.

I really appreciate any tips you can provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Those don't look like the best quality hinges. Good hinges will be adjustable up/down, in/out and right left, just by rotating one of 3 screws

If you are standing in front of that door, looks like you can move the hinge towards-you/away-from-you by loosening one screw (probably the one in the back) and sliding the hinge in the slot. (Sliding in a slot is not a nice way to adjust). Probably the smaller screw shifts the door right/left. This is adjusted to get all the door gaps even.

Having said all that, a door that won't close all the way, is not good. The spring in the door should close the door. I think those hinges are toast. Maybe somebody else here has a different opinion. But the good part is that there is nothing special about the sizes on those hinges -- you should be able to readily find a replacement set. Does not need to be same brand (which I never heard of). (However you will have to figure out what "overlay" you have)

·
Usually Confused
9,124 Posts
I would try some spray lube. If they used to close properly, they might again. If you are new to the place and don't know, it can't hurt. The spring might be toast. The small screw is to adjust the plumb of the door by lifting the hinge off the base (which you can't do without first loosening the big screw). Adjusting Euro hinges is sometimes like patting your head and rubbing your stomach.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I definitely came to the right message board.

Thanks to both of you, for your replies and advice.

15 years of use on a generic hinge has worn them out.
(It also tells me that I use the left cabinet a lot more than the right one, that door is fine!)

I will need to have some help replacing them. I'll look into buying replacements and have my parts ready when the shelter in place is lifted.
Thank you again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.