DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add an extra shelf in freezer where an ice maker was but I need to attach 4 plastic shelf holders on the smooth freezer walls. I am looking for a simple solution where I don't have to shutdown fridge and remove everything to let a glue dry. Maybe some double sided tape or drill 4 small holes into freezer wall for screws? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Drilling the wall is ill advised unless you can be sure of what you will hit (hold back and stay shallow if you must)... no glue will work... safest is to devise some supports that run down to the shelf brackets on the next shelf down using your McGyver powers.

Reactions: pkcinna

·
Registered
740 Posts
The only thing that might work is VHB or very high bond tape which is double sided. Check the rating for the lowest temperature at which it can be used.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'll betcha' I can take a couple of turnbuckles and some lengths of threaded rod and make you some neat shelf supports that won't require any drilling or gluing. Think about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. There is some hardware at top of freezer compartment where I can attach and run some supports down sides. I am looking into VHB tape too. The reply about threaded rod also gives me an idea about threading the ends of the shelf supports that attach to the 4 plastic mounting feet... then I can use friction and compression to hold it in place similar to how shower curtain rods work. If I had a job I could just buy a new fridge but no work for 50+ software engineers. Crazy world where junior Indian workers that need to be trained for every task are preferred over highly experienced natives.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
For adhesives, consider placing freezer items in ice chests and raising the freezer temperature to about 35-40°. One element remaining against this method will be condensation forming when the door is opened. Some adhesives tolerate some moisture better than others.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The freezer is pretty full so not sure when I can test the shelf. So far I threaded the ends of some excess closet shelving so I can screw on 3D printed adapters. The idea is to adjust the tightness of shelf against the large white plastic disc which will be attached to smooth freezer wall. I'm going to try double sided tape and plan B is to suspend the whole shelf from the ice maker slots at top of freezer. It is not too late to try something different if someone knows a better approach.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe some kind of double sided tape? My thinking is it doesn't have to stick completely but only provide some grip since the threaded mounts or feet will push against the freezer walls and static friction and pressure can hold it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. Looks like drilling into sides is generally safe according to the video. If the VHB double sided tape doesn't work I may consider going this route but then I got to figure out where to store my frozen food while the epoxy dries and it turns into a bigger project.

·
retired framer
44,485 Posts
Interesting. Looks like drilling into sides is generally safe according to the video. If the VHB double sided tape doesn't work I may consider going this route but then I got to figure out where to store my frozen food while the epoxy dries and it turns into a bigger project.
I would drill a wood block to put on the drill bit to really limit the depth.

I wonder if there are repair videos for your model that would show you what is in there and where.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
If you have a piece of tubing or PVC pipe you can also cut a piece that you can stick the drill bit through, long enough that when the chuck stops against it, you get the required depth from the bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like I wont have to do any drilling because the threaded plastic feet hold the shelf better than expected. I let a thin layer of silicone dry on the mounting discs overnight for grip instead of double sided tape so I can easily relocate the shelf. The attached picture shows the silicon on the back of one of the discs and another disc with its threaded section before snapping together. To avoid complicated 3D design I just used a M6x1.0 tap to thread the inner shaft of the plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Silicone for traction in freezer is not ideal... noticed the feet slid down the wall about 1/2 inch over the day after it was loaded to the top. The shelf feet hit a small ridge on freezer walls and stopped sliding so it may be good enough for this scenario. I bet sandpaper on the feet would grip good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts