DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding on a room to an existing frame- it used to be a screened in porch. I framed around the 4x4's and left the existing wood frame at the top (aprox. 12" all around the top) and butted the drywall up to it. Is the drywall mud going to join the wood to the drywall properly, or am I going to have to slap some trim up there? Please and thank you...:huh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trim

I am sorry I explained so poorly, what I mean to say is can I have a nice finished look without worrying about cracking etc. where the wood and mud meet. I believe Bob said that I would need to add trim which makes sense....thanks for reply and appreciate any help that I can get!!!:huh:

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
Another option is to use j-Channel at the adjoining edges of the drywall. This will give the drywall a finished edge if you think a trim will not look appropriate for the design of the room. this is a channel from the drywall department not the type for siding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
j channel

I have never heard of J channel, could you give me a brief description about it? Thanks Bob!:)

·
11,730 Posts
Was a screened porch - now to be living space. Like apples and oranges. Foundation changes, wall changes, roof possible changes, heating and cooling, wiring, all hopefully to minimum code. Be safe, GBAR

·
Drywall contractor
2,151 Posts
If the drywall is already up, J-mold (channel) won't work. It is put up first and the drywall "inserted" into the "channel". It has 3 sides. Two sides are 1/2" wide and the third 3/4" (hence the "J" reference) with the longer side fastened to the wall and the rock goes up into it. You could use "1/2 bead". It is similar to corner bead with an edge on one side that is 1/2" and one side 3/4". The narrow side slips over the edge of the drywall and the wide side (which has holes punched in it like regular corner bead) is fastened on top of the drywall and finished like regular corner bead. Trim would likely be a lot simpler and finish out fine....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trim

I decided on the trim, thank you everyone...I'm sure I will be back with a few more...:wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts