DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how much it will cost to add a 20x30 living room/bedroom single story additon (with full basement) on to our house. Is there a free calculator I can use on the web??? It's not a complicated addition, but I'm not sure how much lumber, etc. I'd love to find something I can plug in numbers and get a cost or materials list. But maybe I'm just dreaming. LOL.

Thanks for the help

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
lilfarm said:
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how much it will cost to add a 20x30 living room/bedroom single story additon (with full basement) on to our house. Is there a free calculator I can use on the web??? It's not a complicated addition, but I'm not sure how much lumber, etc. I'd love to find something I can plug in numbers and get a cost or materials list. But maybe I'm just dreaming. LOL.

Thanks for the help
Sorry to wake you from your dream. This question has too many local variables to even begin to estimate.

·
Framing Contractor
1,758 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for the help
Your are dreaming. There is no such thing. Call legit contractors in and they will give you a price if you have plans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darn!
I thought I had seen a materials calculator a couple of years ago, but I can't seem to find it now :( Oh well, I guess it is back to paper and pencil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't feel comfortable calling a contractor for a estimate and using up their time when I know I won't be using their services. Only person I planned to call for a quote is a drywall mudder and maybe someone to help get the trusses set. I admit, I was just hoping for an easier way to do it and I thought someone on here might know of a website. I'm burnt on looking for one. Like I said I'll just go back to paper and pencil. It will probably be way faster than all the time I've spent online looking for an easy answer. LOL.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Once you have plans drawn---take them to a local lumber yard for a 'material take off'----they can then give you the cost of framing and sheeting goods.

Take the plans to a concrete contractor for a bid on the excavation and form work.

If you are doing the mechanical yourself (electrical--hvac--and plumbing) you can estimate the average cost of wiring by the number of openings---

same for windows--siding and roofing materials.

It's tedious work---many hours---there are many estimating books at a good book store---
The books,however ,are not to useful for a DIYer--the have labor overhead and profit included--

Materials are national average and have delivery and handling expenses included.

Most pros (that I know) price the job item by item when a job is out of the ordinary.

----Mike-----

·
Framing Contractor
1,512 Posts
I don't feel comfortable calling a contractor for a estimate and using up their time when I know I won't be using their services. Only person I planned to call for a quote is a drywall mudder and maybe someone to help get the trusses set. I admit, I was just hoping for an easier way to do it and I thought someone on here might know of a website. I'm burnt on looking for one. Like I said I'll just go back to paper and pencil. It will probably be way faster than all the time I've spent online looking for an easy answer. LOL.
So your not going to use a contractor, but you have no idea how to price your addition? I would do a lot more research if I was you. Hope you have the proper finances to pull this off, as a bank will want to know everything upfront.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You will likely need plans to get a permit. Hire a designer to do the plans. Then from those plans you can get a materials take off from lumber yards, quotes from sub contractor, etc.

This is where I am at now with a new master bedroom addition project for my home.

·
Framing Contractor
1,758 Posts
I don't feel comfortable calling a contractor for a estimate and using up their time when I know I won't be using their services.
So that means you're doing the addition yourself material and labor and figuring out all materials yourself. Pencil and paper is your friend.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
How much of this work are you planning to do yourself vs. subbing it out? My wife and I built our log home almost literally by ourselves so have some experience in this area. Believe me, even your addition will be a LOT of work. Unless you're retired (I was), it'll take far longer than you think.

And where do you live? In many places, unlicensed homeowners can't do certain types of work (electrical, plumbing in particular). Nor can you get a loan at most banks without a licensed general contractor who takes legal responsibility for the job. We built ours out of pocket so that wasn't an issue.

Won't even get into your construction skills, but I think you get my point.

·
KemoSabe
644 Posts
Paper, pencil and graph paper.

If you build it on paper first, you'll be ahead of the game all around. If you can't build it on paper, well.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where I live you can still be an owner builder and the plan for construction can be pretty basic. Of course it all has to pass code/inspection. We dont need to qualify for a construction loan. Yeah, i know almost no bank will give you money for owner builder loans. It took some friends of ours awhile to find one a few years ago and I don't think that bank does them anymore. We will be doing nearly all the work ourselves, except the drywall mudding and the installation of a new breaker panel. Yeah, construction always seems to cost more and last longer than I hope. Though I am hoping this new construction project will go faster that all the remodeling we've done (with its remodel surprises. Like the 1/4 in floor height difference we now have to fix in our kitchen remodel. We took out part of a wall to make the kitchen bigger and found the two floors don't quite match up. Oh the joys of remodeling. Lol). Thanks for the info about the lumber yard helping with the materials list. I didn't realize they'd help with a larger project. I've had them double check my wall material lists before but never a whole project. Anyway, thanks again to all who have offered helpful information. I better get back to my weekend project of riping apart the kitchen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts