DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to embark on a few DIY projects around the house to better accommodate my growing family. one of the projects is to enclose a covered porch and extend the breakfast into it. Fortunately I am the original owner of the house and was there when it was built. So I have lots of pictures of it at various stages of completion.

So on to my question... In order to enclose the 10 x10 porch and extend the dining room into it I will need to build up the slab by a couple of inches, maybe 2-3". The existing slab of the covered porch is part of and was poured at the same time as the house. They used tension cables (I think that's what they are called) throughout the house slab and they extend through the porch portion of the slab. I'll attempt to add a few pictures to show what I'm talking about. I'm looking for advice or suggestions on the proper way of adding to the existing slab. Or any advice on where to look for building code or other reference will be appreciated. I have to submit a plan to the local town for design and construction approval, so being able to document the process will make approval easier, I hope!

Attachments

·
Registered
37,174 Posts
Not there to see it in person, but around here any sheathing or siding needs to be at least 6" above grade.
May get away with poring another slab on top of the one that's there now to get it higher.
I sure would not be doing it with wood.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for not being clearer in my intentions. I plan to build up the existing slab by adding concrete. I've read some say to just pour directly over the old, some say it needs 1/2" rebar pegs into the existing concrete, some say there needs to be a barrier between the two. Maybe there is no correct or by the book method of doing this?

·
Registered
37,174 Posts
There is no need for rebar or any barrier.
May want to use a bonding agent, old and new do not like to stick together.
That much weight is not going to move.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
Nothing fancy needed IMPO, gravity is working on your side. Dowels are out with post-tensioned cables in the slab. A bonding agent is generally not needed on a slab that thick. It looks like you might have more room to come up flush with the rest of the floor, maybe even 4"??

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,767 Posts
Ayuh,... Can't tell in the pictures, but does the frost footer go 'round where yer wantin' to build,..??

Looks like it stops short, at where the house ends, 'n the patio begins,....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts