DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have several rooms with a fan/light kit. In each room the fan and light kit are controlled by separate switches but there is only one wire running from the switches to the fan box. I want to remove the light kit and add four recessed lights to each room but not sure how to do this since there is currently only one wire coming from the switches. I am assuming I could connect the existing wire to just one switch in order to control the fan and then run a new wire from the other switch to the series of recessed lights. This would just require running a new wire from the attic down the wall to the swith plate. Can both switches be tied to the same wire from the breaker? I hope so because I really dont want to run a new wire from the breaker to each room. Thanks.

·
Licensed electrician
13,386 Posts
Why not just leave the switching as is except the old switch for the fan light would operate the recessed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I am assuming the existing wire is a 12-3 or 14-3. Are you saying to use the hot wire that is controlling the light kit to start the recessed lighting series? Then can I just connect each additional recessed light with 12-2 or 14-2 wire?

·
Licensed electrician
13,386 Posts
As long as the fan box has room for the additional cable that was what I was thinking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts