DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding a concrete patio to my back yard after I removed the rotting deck. I would also like to fill in the 3 foot strip between the house and driveway with concrete - currently it is filled with lava rock and weeds. I'm not sure if it is best to rip out the existing driveway and redo everything or correct some minor sinking by mudjacking and then pouring new only where needed.

More details...

The house is 60 years old - I've been here 25 years so I'm 99% sure it is the original driveway. Metro Detroit so winters are a factor. Soil is very sandy. The existing driveway is 60' x 8' but widens to 16' at the garage door. Overall it is about 620 square feet of concrete. It is actually in very good shape. There is some minor sinking of a couple slabs, maybe 1.5" max. There is only one hairline crack that runs the full width of one slab.

The city repaved the street two years ago and replaced the approach so that is good. They also replaced individual sidewalk slabs that were damaged or where they needed to dig to make gas line connections, so it is flat but checkerboard in color.

I would be adding a patio of probably 12x24' that would butt up to the driveway. There are a few walkway slabs in the back yard that would need to be replaced since they were damaged in the deck install. There is also a 4x4' 24" high porch at the back door that will probably be replaced. The brick is disintegrating and the slab is a hack job I did to pass an insurance inspection - the original was removed for clearance for the deck. Filling in along the house and adding in some walkway I would basically be doubling the square footage to about 1250 square feet.

One negative to salvaging the current concrete would be the color difference, but that doesn't bother me and it will eventually age.

I will be contracting this out. Would there be much/any cost savings to salvage the current concrete? Any functional reasons not to do so if there is a cost savings? Any ideas on cost in the Detroit area? I'll probably wait until spring to get this rolling. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Mud jacking is expensive as is concrete, you need to get the numbers on both before you can make a decision, and weather you do it or farm it out, to many variables for an answer here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts