DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Yes HK^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is something we don't know here... and likely something incorrect.

(OP.... not to alarm you, but many incorrect electrical sytems can function fine... untill they happen upon a certain condition, and then they don't... and that can present a danger... not saying that is your case, just there is something different here that we don't know/understand and can assess.)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
MTN Remodel - the OP never mentioned a red wire, which is what I have seen in my houses. Essentially it is a MWBS using 14/2 rather than 14/3, and stealing a neutral from a different circuit. If he turned off the breaker for the first circuit, and there is a load on that 2nd circuit, power running thru the 2nd circuit is trying to return on the "stolen" neutral. That explains the spark when disconnecting the neutrals. I believe that what I am trying to describe is what used to be legal (back in the 60's) and was referred to as a "California 3 way". Google that, but you might bring up some unexpected videos. LOL!

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
JEFF...... Wow, I wonder.......maybe that's what's involved.

I just got up and have not looked that up recently, but I know what you are talking about... just can't remember the details any more.

Years years ago, fixing electrical in my daughters 1950 build in Marin, I ran into a three way I could not get working or figure what was occuring.... and it was a california 3-way..... can't even remember how I got tipped off or even discovered the concept/system.....

Basically, I don't remember it in terms of a screwed up mwbc.... more like a shared/crossed neutral or something....

Have to look it up again...

Best

Peter

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Mike5163......Just out of curiosity..... (and maybe your safety,)

can you test the two breakers at issue/concern with a voltage (MM) tester to see if you have 240 across them or they are both the same leg at 120 (reading 0)

What year was your home built..?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts