DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add a couple of outlets in my unfinished basement. Obviously I'm a DIY kinda guy but I've got almost no electrical knowledge.

Is this something that I should even bother researching or should I just hire someone to add them?

Would I need to run a new line from the breaker panel or might I be able to extend from a junction box or existing outlet?

Can anyone point me to a good guide on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
First shut the msin power off have a couple of flash lights make sure you have t h e space to add another breaker hook the wire to the neutral bar you should see where all the wires goes all brass color is ground and the black wire hook up to the breaker make sure it is in the off position before installing once you have that turn your main on and leave the breaker in tge off position until you have the outlets set up they come with pretty simple instructions

·
Registered
774 Posts
You can do it...probably. What is the intended load? General lighting, fixed appliance or specific equipment, for example.
What is the wiring method in your basement? If you don't know, can you estimate the year it was installed.
What type of load center is it? Buss fuses or circuit breakers? What is the manufacturer of the load center?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can do it...probably. What is the intended load? General lighting, fixed appliance or specific equipment, for example.
What is the wiring method in your basement? If you don't know, can you estimate the year it was installed.
What type of load center is it? Buss fuses or circuit breakers? What is the manufacturer of the load center?

Here's what I'm looking at as far as the breaker box.

The load may be lights, desktop computers/monitors, and guitar amp.

Thanks!

·
Registered
774 Posts
It looks like you have a modern electrical system. Either coming from the panel or extending an existing circuit should be fine.
There is a lot to learn since you don't have much knowledge. I'd recommend doing some research online or getting a basic home wiring book from the library.
Depending on your location, you may or may not be able to run nonmetallic sheathed cable which is generally considered the easiest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.