DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's proper way to add an outdoor rated box? I need to jump off an unused floodlight light switch to a new box about 15 feet away. Cable will be outdoors under a carport; and there's a big wooden header I can run cable along.

I'm guessing outdoor romex stapled to wood isn't code; and that I'd have to run that grey conduit; or run metal outdoor bx wire; is that correct?

Is there any code requirement about surface mounting an outdoor box onto the wood, like raceway? As long as bare wire isn't exposed, it should be to code, correct?

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,463 Posts
UF cable stapled to beam.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
UF cable ("outdoor Romex") is allowed as long as it's not subject to damage. Stapled along the side of a beam overhead should not be subject to damage. If it's running down closer to the ground, then it becomes questionable. PVC conduit is easy to work with and might be a better alternative if you're concerned about exposure at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mpoulton said:
UF cable ("outdoor Romex") is allowed as long as it's not subject to damage. Stapled along the side of a beam overhead should not be subject to damage. If it's running down closer to the ground, then it becomes questionable. PVC conduit is easy to work with and might be a better alternative if you're concerned about exposure at all.
Cool, thank you, I was hoping that was a possibility. The beam is a ledger board mounted to side of house. It sticks out 2" (the width of the board) so I can easily staple it with those staples that have plastic protector piece (to not damage cable) and it'd be an easy run. It's 10' in the air and fully under car port so it won't be seen and never wet (humidity, but no rain or snow).

Now I just need to find a surface mountable outdoor box for the outlet... Harder to find than I thought!

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 8 of 8 Posts