DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks,
New garage cabinets on their way and want to add an outlet at counter height directly above an existing outlet that is part of the normal run along the lower garage walls.

Is the pic below the basic diagram on how I should do this or is there another way that should be considered from a code perspective?
I am also considering just removing the bottom outlet all together ..

Appreciate the feedback..

Handwriting Rectangle Font Automotive design Parallel

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Pigtails are dandy, as long as the nuts are within a JB.

If you replace the middle outlet with a commercial style, with the clamps rather than only screws, you don't even need to pigtail—you can connect two wires to the same clamp:
Product Automotive lighting Font Audio equipment Auto part

(I'm assuming your existing outlets currently just run the wire from left to right.)

So you can just do your "pigtail" for the upper outlet right at the clamp. And you can even reuse the outlet you replaced (with the commercial style) for the upper one.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hello and thanks,
New garage cabinets on their way and want to add an outlet at counter height directly above an existing outlet that is part of the normal run along the lower garage walls.

Is the pic below the basic diagram on how I should do this or is there another way that should be considered from a code perspective?
I am also considering just removing the bottom outlet all together ..

Appreciate the feedback..

View attachment 674626
Providing that the cabinets are not fastened in place that is fine. If the cabinets will be fastened in place then the existing box must have a hole, in the back wall of the cabinet, which provides full access to that box and allows the removal of the cover to provide access to the interior of the box for maintenance and testing. I no longer remember whether having a receptacle in such a box is code compliant but I would consider it poor practice because someone will run a cord through the cabinet door. I would have no issue with shelves because a cord would be far less likely to get pinched to the point of faulting out. If the cabinets will be fastened in place and that wall of the garage is unfinished I would go ahead and run new cable between the receptacle outlet boxes on each side of the cabinets and the new receptacle outlet box. If you will be using the cabinet created counter top as a tool bench or work surface, depending on how long the counter is that the cabinet tops will create, I would consider installing plug mold Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Office supplies Font Measuring instrument
about a 18 inches above the counter, just for the convenience of having a receptacle every foot or so. You can choose spacing between receptacles of 12, 18, and 30 inches. Since they are single receptacles Font Gadget Electronic device Electronics accessory Rectangle
rather than duplex I usually chose the 12 inch spacing.

Tom Horne

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got and thanks. The cabinet guys are cutting access holes for any outlets or boxes present.
That being said, If I wanted to just remove that outlet all together... based on my drawing .. I would just connect the 3 blacks, 3 whites and grounds together right?

Handwriting Gesture Font Art Finger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts