DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon new some input. I have multiple recepticals that are always live. There is one pretty much in the middle of all the wiring that I would like to add switch to just that one. It’s up high and only use it for a workbench light. I don’t need it on all the time so would like to possibly add a switch to it. Is it possible and if so what do I need to do. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will prob look into that caseta switch. I also want to point out and I should have mentioned this in the opening post. All the wires are accessible still. The outlet I would like controlled by the switch is in the barn but I I’ve built a man cave lol in a section Of the barn and still wiring in there. I have not insulated it yet so I couls get to the wires still very easily. Do you think it’s still doable to add a wall switch or still look into the canseta switch.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,686 Posts
Run a 2 wire cable from the receptacle to the new switch location.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Run a 2 wire cable from the receptacle to the new switch location.
You should probably run a three wire cable (for Line, Switched Line and Neutral), since it is now a requirement that a Neutral be available at a "Switch" box - even if you do not think that you will ever use it.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,686 Posts
You should probably run a three wire cable (for Line, Switched Line and Neutral), since it is now a requirement that a Neutral be available at a "Switch" box - even if you do not think that you will ever use it.
Not required for a switched receptacle.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Not required for a switched receptacle.
Except that he wishes to use it for a light

Why not go the "extra mile" at this stage and, for very little extra cost, add what may be required if the socket outlet were ever to be converted to a light fitting?

"Plan ahead" is a good maxim.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just want to see if I can get a answer from here instead of starting a whole bunch Of threads. I have one last leg to wire in the man cave and it’s kind of getting me. I have power coming into a outlet Receptacle then going to a switch box. From there it is going up to the can lights. Now if that was all it was I wouldn’t be asking this. Now I need to get power to a outlet down on the bar counter. Could I run another power source from the switch to the receptacle? Would that be to many wires inside the switch box? There would be 3 wires going into the switch box, ( the power source, then one coming out for the can lights then another going out to the receptacle) thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,812 Posts
Normally it would be fine but depends on the size of the switch box. What size is the switch box?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts