DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what I want to do, and it makes sense to me, but I thought I should check and make sure I'm not asking for trouble.

I have a bedroom wall with two existing outlets. They are combo receptacles where one receptacle of each outlet is always live and the other is powered by a wall swich - like for lamps.

I want to add two reading lights in the ceiling instead of using bedside lamps. My thought is to connect wires to the lamp/switched receptacle of each outlet on either side of the bed, run a wire partway up the wall to a new switch on each side of the bed, and then on up to the ceiling to power the lights.

So basically, I'm tapping into the existing circuit and adding two new switches and lights instead of lamps. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
The part about using over head lights for reading lights has me thrown.
A wall mount or lamp works far better.
Fine for general lighting of the room but usless for reading.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I too would not put reading lights in the ceiling, but by golly, it's your house. So...

If you tap into the switched half of the receptacle, you will have to have both switches on before your light will work. If you want only your new switch to control the new overhead light, you will want to tap into the receptacle half that is always hot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.