DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Adding an outlet

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rjniles 
#1 ·
I have a 15amp electrical outlet in my warehouse and I would like to add another off of it about 5 feet away. Currently the power comes in and the one outlet there is wired in with the little plastic twist caps. White/black/green. Is adding another outlet just a matter of adding another wire into each of these connections or is there more to it? So instead of

#2 ·
Yes, string a new cable of a similar kind from the existing outlet to the new location. Match up the wire colors, black, white, green/bare. Most plastic sheath cable with two conductors and ground (Romex or equivalent) has black for hot, white for neutral, and a bare ground wire.

#4 ·
Yes of course. I have a test kit and double check every time before I touch. So below is a picture of what I am working with. The white and blue lines come in from the circuit breaker but there is the extra black one that starts from the outlet and goes into the conduit that goes out to the back of my building and more outlets I believe. What is happening here? How would I add another outlet into this?

I am guessing just connect my white into that white wing cap but then what do I do with the black? How do I wire my ground in the new junction box?

Thanks!

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Ignore the blue wires. Connect the white and black of your new cable to the white and black respectively of the existing receptacle.

You can connect the existing black to one of the existing receptacle's gold screws and your new black to the other gold screw (silver screws are on the left side when you look at the receptacle front with the ground prong hole down). Suggest removing the wires from the holes and using the screws to hold them on.

#6 ·
The existing outlet didnt have any screws on it so I replaced the outlet with a newer one that did. White is to white and black to black. What do I do with the green/ground wire? Ive been trying to connect it to the existing bare copper ground wire but not sure if that is correct. Is there supposed to be like 1 volt coming across that? If I check the voltage across the bare ground and the white wire it shows 1 volt on my meter.

#7 ·
The wires are in conduit in a warehouse; is this a rental or commercial property. If so, you should be getting a licensed electrician for this work. If the existing electrical is in conduit I suspect the addition should also be in conduit. The ground needs to tied to the existing ground which is grounded to the metal box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.