DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The threshold over hangs the foundation and is now is starting to break off. I was thinking of adding a cement step to support the threshold. Should I drill holes and add rebar to hold the step in place? What would be the best solution to the problem?

·
6,520 Posts
Looks to me like someone used a 2x6 wall thickness door in a 2x4 wall? I'm assuming we're looking at the underside of a door threshold, and the side of the door jamb. Wierd.

Yes, you can pour a concrete step there pretty easily. If you want to tie it to the wall you could epoxy a couple pieces of all-thread or rebar into the wall and pour the concrete in a form with some simple reinforcement. The step can't exceed 7-3/4" in height, and the two rises (or three) must be consistent within 3/8" of each other to meet code. The step must project at least 10" horizontally off the nose of that threshold as well.

I would personally build it from treated lumber, but I'm more of a carpenter than a flatworker!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I don't understand the what the problem is and I don't know what that is in the picture.

Is that in the crawl space?

Andy.
The photo is the bottom of the door over hanging the wall. I want to add a step to support the bottom part so it doesn’t break off.

How should I attach the treated wood? Just use an epoxy or bolt into place? I have the same issue on an outside door can I attach the wood the same way or do I need some type of weather barrier?

·
6,520 Posts
You can attach to the foundation with wedge anchors. You will need a hammer drill to drill any hole into the concrete, regardless of the anchor you choose. Epoxy alone won't do the job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts