DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My boiler has a 6 zone taco panel all being used. I have a stump for zone 7 roughed in. I have all the components to build zone 7 and add another zone but with the current Taco relays all being used I bought a single Taco relay I will add for the new zone. I'll need to tap into the power going to the boiler and the wiring sending the firing single to the burner. My plan is to tap into the power for the second taco relay at the switch and then splice and pigtail power for the burner to both Taco panels. If there is a problem with my plan I'm hoping someone with more experience can chime in, or if there is a better way to do it I am open to that too.

·
Administrator
41,228 Posts
Does your system have an indirect water heater connected to the 6 zone panel. If so, is it set up as a priority zone? If so, then you should get an expansion panel, so that you don't lose the priority for your water heater.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your system have an indirect water heater connected to the 6 zone panel. If so, is it set up as a priority zone? If so, then you should get an expansion panel, so that you don't lose the priority for your water heater.

Yes and the water heater is set to priority.

I bought a single zone taco to run Zone 7.

·
Administrator
41,228 Posts
You will lose indirect proprity using it.

An expansion panel is what should be used to retain priority for the indirect.

Reactions: Longbeard

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will lose indirect proprity using it.

An expansion panel is what should be used to retain priority for the indirect.

I figured I would but it's not a big concern for me. As far as expansion panels go I did look for one that could handle more than 6 zones and was unable to find one, at least not made by Taco, which I would prefer to stay with. Unless I misunderstand what you consider an expansion panel?

·
Administrator
41,228 Posts
An expansion panel, is a zone panel you add and connects the the existing Taco panel.

You would get a 4 zone panel. And wire it together with the existing panel. It would retain your priority zone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An expansion panel, is a zone panel you add and connects the the existing Taco panel.

You would get a 4 zone panel. And wire it together with the existing panel. It would retain your priority zone.

Why won't the single zone expansion panel do that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts