DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Adding a new outlet, tapping existing outlet on opposing side of wall

676 Views 27 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  hornetd
Can I float the outlet box anywhere in between the studs? The new outlet will be on a 15 amp circuit. The existing wiring in the wall is 14/2. I am putting in a double gang box with duplex outlets for power to the very back corner of my garage. I do not want to cutout the box next to the stud because I do not want to disturb existing wires that are running on the stud or wrapped around any outlet box.

Total 14/2 Romex run will be about 3ft . This includes the 6-8" of excess wire from the wall plate. The next question is the height of the new outlet. Does it matter? I have a single gang duplex outlet already but need more outlets. I tapped the existing outlet to run flat screen tv's to both the laundry room and garage. Those are on a 20 amp circuit. This outlet is on a 15amp circuit. I need the extra plugs for surge protectors for a computer and for charging tools.

I do not want the new outlets high but I want them higher than the standard outlet height. I have work benches where the outlets can fish power cords through or have a stationary surge protector on a shelf under the work bench. This new outlet will be in the corner of the garage and there is likely never going to be any wall penetration in the future. I want to make sure everything is safe.

I have Wago's for connection the two new outlets and insure push to connect 3 wire connectors for the ground pigtails. I have 14/2 Romex, will that be ok? The existing wire is 14/2. This is 1998/1999 construction.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
Building my last home
5,487 Posts
floating a box meaning to me that it is not tied to some structure is legal only when using a cut in box. Not exactly what I would want in a garage where I would be using it a lot.
Boxes tied to the structure work best for heavy use areas.

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
floating a box meaning to me that it is not tied to some structure is legal only when using a cut in box. Not exactly what I would want in a garage where I would be using it a lot.
Boxes tied to the structure work best for heavy use areas.
I have a double gang outlet box that affixes to the drywall. What I mean by float is putting anywhere between the studs but not on the side of the stud directly.

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have a retro-fitt box.
It's a Legrand old work box.

Pass & Seymour Slater Old Work 2 Gang 32 Cu. In. Plastic Swing Bracket Switch and Outlet Box with Quick/Click

· Registered
1,113 Posts
You can use that box. You can place it in the wall and not affix it to a stud. That is to code. That is what that box is meant to do. It is referred to as an "Old Work" box. It has tabs to secure to wall surface.

The only issue is what you will tap off of to bring power to this box. If you run a new circuit to this box then there is no problem as long as you watch you box fill (wire count etc).

This typoe of box is used in the field all of the time, especially for renovations.

· Registered
9,169 Posts
Everyone seems to be off on a red herring regarding the type of box, ignoring the issue joed brought up, which is probably the dealbreaker. In my county, the website lists inspectors with their phone numbers I can all with such questions. I would do that.

· Registered
7,787 Posts
If you don't want the stud in an existing stud location, feel free to "frame out" an extra stud. Figure the offset you want, subtract the width of a stud (1-1/2") and make spacers that length.

Or just fit a horizontal member and mount the box sideways. If you use a metal box with a mud ring, you can even correct the orientation!

· Registered
2,973 Posts
I think the OP was more concerned about the legalities of 15amp lines from a different room. He was told, for the garage, it needed to be dedicated and 20 amps. The box he has he knows he can use.

Personally if it was mine........

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the OP was more concerned about the legalities of 15amp lines from a different room. He was told, for the garage, it needed to be dedicated and 20 amps. The box he has he knows he can use.

Personally if it was mine........
The garage is on a 20 amp circuit with a GFCI connecting all the outlet in the garage. There is also another 20 amp circuit for the central vac in the garage. There is also an outlet in the very back of the garage (40ft deep) on the 20 amp circuit as well as a 43" 4k TV wall mounted and wired off the 20 amp circuit by yours truly. The 15amp runs the lights in the garage and the laundry room. I wanted extra outlets to charge my tools. That is why I am tapping the 15amp.

· Registered
7,787 Posts
Existing installations are Grandfathered if they were legal when installed. (to resolve disputes, this means the Code version in effect on the date the permit was pulled).

That does not mean you are free to follow NEC 1954 for all improvements. Improvements should not make the situation worse under current Codes. Think of it this way: Imagine you had to pull a permit for the improvement (which actually you are supposed to, by the way). What would the inspector want?

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is supposed to be a DIY forum. Codes do not apply to homeowners. You do not have to be an electrician or a member of a local union to do work in your own house. The bottom line should always be about whether or not the work you do is safe. With all the hacks out there, (handymen, real electricians and DIY types) it's amazing there are not more electrical fires.

There is something known as load balance or balancing the electrical load of your circuits. If you read my original post and some of my past posts. I already have multiple 20amp circuits in my garage. The very back of my garage could be considered an auxiliary room. The lights are on the same 15amp circuit in the garage. Everything else is 20amps in the garage. I question why there are so many people on this thread citing codes when this is a DIY forum.

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Sometimes you wonder why a code like that would even be written but I'm sure they could justify it somehow.

What I learned in 33 plus years of being a licensed contractor, many codes were written to protect the public but than many more were written to protect the building dept.

· Registered
308 Posts
Article 210.11 (c)(4) In both 2017 and 2020 NEC requires at least one 20 amp receptacle circuit in the garage. It does not disallow additional receptacle circuits of 15 or 20 amp. IMO codes are cited on DIY forums because the majority of posters want to know what the rules are to be legal . Your local AHJ has the final say.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts