DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1920 craftsman with an upstairs closet that doesn't have a light. My question is about adding a separate light and switch to the existing upstairs lighting circuit. I've actually already done it, and am very happy with the results, but I want to make sure I went about it the right (safest) way.

I have a large unfinished attic so running wires is pretty easy, the only challenge was making clean cuts through the plaster, but it turned out good (razor blade and metal sawzall blade).

What I did was I added a junction box along a section of the circuit using this diagram. light-switchoutlet.jpg

Is this the correct way to go about it? It seems like a waste of wire using only the neutral or hot alone going from the switch to the light/box and the light to the box.

Thanks in advance

·
Electrician (Retired)
111 Posts
What you created was a switch loop and it's perfectly fine. The only thing you could add would be identifying the white wire (where you tapped for power and also at the switch location) with some black tape.

·
Licensed electrician
13,501 Posts
If the wiring was not grounded it should not have been extended.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The diagram doesn't show it, but the light, switch, and box are all grounded. I forgot to mention that part. I will go back and wrap some tape on that white wire as well.

·
Super Moderator
21,092 Posts
Does not meet current code which requires a neutral in switch boxes. But otherwise it is fine.

·
Licensed electrician
13,501 Posts
I think it would meet code since the neutral could be added later by pulling a new cable. There is an exception when access from one side or above or below is available .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tmp_20797-2016031495204323-589637120.jpg

Would this be a better way to wire this? Seems simpler than what I did. This doesn't show the junction box but assuming it is there.

Thanks

·
Electrician (Retired)
111 Posts
In your situation I don't know if it would have been simpler but the diagram you just attached is a more conventional way to wire the switch and light. JMHO!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts