DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My basement is wired so all the lights come on together. I have 3 switches that control the lights. I need to add a light at the top of the stairs so the stairwell isn’t so dark. Below is the configuration of wires at the switch that I need to tap power from for the new light. The new light can go on and off with the rest of the basement lights.
The travelers makes it more complicated so my question is which two wires do I pigtail with the new light?

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
If indeed it is a gray that is connected to the white, then you may have a hot feed between them and the black screw on the switch. If so toggle the switch to make sure it is always hot.

·
Super Moderator
22,534 Posts
It appears you have two cables, a 2 wire cable and a three wire cable. If that is true then you can't do it. You do not have a neutral. You have a switch loop from the fixture and three wire cable to the other switch.The white wire is being used as hot.

·
Banned
3,456 Posts
There's a 2-wire and a 3-wire cable in that box. If the 2-wire cable is the power in (line) for the basement lights, you cannot come off this switch, as the switched circuit is not complete until it passes through the companion 3-way at the other end. If this 2-wire is the actual switched leg and the other 3-way has the line, then this 2-wire cable is the switched leg and you can tap off the same splices as the black and white 2-wire cable to feed the stair light.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
That's not a gray wire. That's a black wire. Nobody makes white/gray cables, that would be useless since gray is reserved for the alternate neutral color.

Nope, that wiring indicates that your 3-way complex is a "switch loop". You do not have neutral anywhere around here. You cannot tap this location to get hot and neutral for any circuit extension. You must tap it at the lamp. Sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts