DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Adding a header on top of window to support floor joists

2923 Views 40 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  huesmann
Hi,
I’m renovating my basement and I recently had a new egress window cut and installed and there are two floor joists going above the window.

I had a building inspector come by to inspect and he said that the two joists in on top of the window are not supported anymore since the concrete has been cut below it, so he told me I had to install a header beam that runs behind the 2 joists and the joists have to be secured to this beam using joist hangers.
My question is how would I go about installing the beam since the joists are already attached to the wall, do I cut the end of the joists and then somehow insert the beam behind the joist?
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Naildriver
23,233 Posts
Did the inspector not suggest a lentil plate across the top of the block? Seems to be a lot easier to do. Pictures always help us see what you see.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a lentil plate across the top but he still insists on having beam going across.
I tried cutting the beam up and putting it in between the joists and attached the joists to those beams but the inspector still wasn’t happy with it. See the picture attached.

· Registered
10,329 Posts
If the header is holding up the joists using joist hangers then the header is positioned like a rim joist.

The header, to still be called a header, needs to sit on top of jack studs..

Doing it this way you don't have to move the window down to make space under the joists for the header, and the window offers more headroom (no pun intended).

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the header is holding up the joists using joist hangers then the header is positioned like a rim joist.

The header, to still be called a header, needs to sit on top of jack studs..

Doing it this way you don't have to move the window down to make space under the joists for the header, and the window offers more headroom (no pun intended).
Sorry I don’t understand could you explain further please.

· retired framer
70,292 Posts
Sorry I don’t understand could you explain further please.
You would go in the outside above the window and remove the rim joist 3" wider than the window on each side.
Cut the joists shorter by 1 1/2"
Then replace 2 layers of rim joists 3" wider than the window on both sides.
Lift the joist just enough to slip the hangers in.

· Registered
10,329 Posts
Oops, I missed the heating duct in the joist bay directly above the window. Can you or did you relocate that duct to obtain the picture just below the picture with the heating duct?

If you have to keep the heating duct there then the header has to go below that. Now you are back to a traditional header (below the joists). and you have to work around the limited headroom.

After a good night's sleep I got the words I wanted, sister the rim joist with the header, which idea you/I have to abandon because of the heating duct.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oops, I missed the heating duct in the joist bay directly above the window. Can you or did you relocate that duct to obtain the picture just below the picture with the heating duct?

If you have to keep the heating duct there then the header has to go below that. Now you are back to a traditional header (below the joists). and you have to work around the limited headroom.

After a good night's sleep I got the words I wanted, sister the rim joist with the header, which idea you/I have to abandon because of the heating duct.
Yes the duct will be moved

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.