DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Remodeler
215 Posts
What you did definitely works and doesn't appear to be any code violations. One suggestion though; assuming it was possible, you should have taken the outlet off of the switch so there would always be power flowing to it. Without any overhead lights, you were required to have an outlet on a switch. But now that you have an overhead box on the switch, the outlet isn't required to be on a switch anymore.

I may be reading your diagram incorrectly, but it appears that the box that the outlet is in has the live wire coming into it, then pigtailed such that one line goes off to the switch (which comes back to the outlet) and one goes off to other outlets in the house. If this is the case, you should have added another run off the pigtail so that the outlet in the box was being fed directly by the live wire, and no longer off the switch.

I know you said you had box size issues, but since you ended up adding a box and doing a workaround, you probably could easily take that outlet off of the switch now. But again, it isn't any violation, just an inconvenience (in my opinion) now to have that outlet on a switch when it doesn't have to be. But very good job though; appears to be no code violations.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts