DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding a exhaust fan to my master bedroom and I'm a little confused about the wiring. I plan on adding a duel switch to the current single switch that controls the vanity light. The top switch will control the vanity light, the bottom switch will control the exhaust fan.

My question is, can I just pig tail off the current wiring in the vanity switch box? What would you recommend?

Attachments

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice diagram. For the GFI I was just showing that it was existing and being fed from the switch.

I'm just worried about pig tailing to much. As you can see from my diagram there are already quite a few wires in the mix.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
Bathroom lights and fans are NOT required by code to be GFCI protected unless specifically indicated as such by the manufacturer. Running power into both the switches and the GFCI outlet is just fine, you do not need to run them through the GFCI. Think about what happens in the event you do trip the GFCI; you'll be left in the dark in the bathroom with no lights.

Personally I would not put the lights and fan on the GFCI outlet.

· Registered
2,294 Posts
From the ex fan cable, put the white with the whites under the wire nut.

Your stacked switch wil have one terminal for the power (existing pigtai; to light switch) and two separate terminals for the light and fan blacks.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Worked great. I attached the neutral to the existing wires (under the wire nut), put the red wire on the black screw, and put the blacks from the light and fan on the brass.

Thanks for the help. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.