DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a ceiling fan installed however it was tied into the light switch that controls a nearby outlet.

I want to keep the fan hot all the time (has a remote) and then be able to use the light switch to actually turn the light on when we enter the room.

#1: Is a single pole dual switch the best option?
#2: If so, how do I wire this bad boy up? The 2 neutral wires are capped together and the red is not in use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the outlet there are 3 pigtail connections; 1 each for white, black, and ground with each having a single going into the outlet.

I cannot see the fan connection at this time however based on the manual its just a black/white/ground connection.

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
Sounds like the receptacle has been rewired to be always on.

I cannot see the fan connection at this time however based on the manual its just a black/white/ground connection.
If that is true you can't control the light separately. You need a third wire to control the light.

WE need to know the connections in the switch box and the fan box to tell you what to change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the receptacle has been rewired to be always on.

If that is true you can't control the light separately. You need a third wire to control the light.

WE need to know the connections in the switch box and the fan box to tell you what to change.
Sorry if I want clear, but I'm looking to control the outlet (ie with a plugged in lamp) not the fan light.

Is there a better option to isolate the fan from the switch?

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
You can't do it. You need a third wire from the switch box to send switched power back to the receptacle.
Previously you had a switch loop controlling the receptacle. The white and black were used to send power to the switch(white) and bring switched power back(black). It has now been rewired to send power and a neutral to the switch for the fan. You need a third wire to bring switched power back to the receptacle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.