DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a space in basement which is going to finish soon. I don't have space to run a separate Flexible Duct between joists to this place.
So I am planning to reuse the existing Flexible Duct and create a tee and then attach boot

But what register vent boot, do I have to use which is compatible with duct tee?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
41,577 Posts
Does the existing duct supply a room on the upper level, or the basement.

·
Administrator
41,577 Posts
Then you'll be taking heat a way from that room, and it will now be a cold room, and the basement area won't warm up either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think its same thing. isn't ?. Even though if you add new one. Ultimately you are basically splitting the air flow from main stem into one more. Both/All the spaces will take little more time to heat the their own space. Right now I don't have space for new one. so now I am in situation of "Something better than nothing". Please correct me if I am wrong here. I'll be adding for return air in the floor.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
41,577 Posts
If you take from the main truck, as you said. All supply lines loose just a little, and the system runs longer.

But if you take from a supply branch, then you only reduce air flow to that one room, and the system doesn't run longer. Making that room cooler.

Reactions: viky

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you take from the main truck, as you said. All supply lines loose just a little, and the system runs longer.

But if you take from a supply branch, then you only reduce air flow to that one room, and the system doesn't run longer. Making that room cooler.
What you have mentioned above I am agree with you.

But in my case, that supply branch going the upstairs main living area where thermostat located. If it was for a room yes it would have definitely run for same amount of time ( as before) and would have make room cooler.
But here, I think it will run longer, because I am stealing heat from main living area.

`

·
Administrator
41,577 Posts
What you have mentioned above I am agree with you.

But in my case, that supply branch going the upstairs main living area where thermostat located. If it was for a room yes it would have definitely run for same amount of time ( as before) and would have make room cooler.
But here, I think it will run longer, because I am stealing heat from main living area.

`
Maybe it will work okay. Or maybe it will run longer like you said, and over heat the other rooms on the upper level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts