DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Well, isn't that actually 920 ft³?
The more frequent limitation on a bath fan is incoming air. Where is that coming from?
The only drawback I can see would be double the noise, assuming the same fan. But modern fans can be very quiet so upgrading to a larger fan should also result in a quieter fan.
Then there is the issue of duct size and the need for a second duct should you go with a second fan.

Maybe a simpler solution would be a delayed off timer that would keep the fan running for a set period of time, maybe with the door open.

Just rambling. See anything there as options?

Bud

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
I just installed a larger fan in my bathroom renovation and they recommended a 6" duct, although they provides a 6 to 4 reducer as an option. I went with the 6 to keep the noise down. Connecting 2 fans to one duct should involve a larger duct anyway.

What size duct is there now?

Bud

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Could easily be a 3" duct. If so it won't work well with a second fan added to it or with a larger fan. Where is the current fan vented, roof, side, gable? Hopefully not to the attic of into the soffit.

Is there an attic directly above this bathroom?

Bud

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Yes, 2 fans would perform similar to one larger, but it's a patch job.

The real question is, will a larger fan perform that much better than the 70 cfm and that depends upon the supply of air into that room. It is also dependent upon how steamy the showers are. Some folks like to wash the walls with every shower, then you need a 200 cfm fan and a window open (just kidding about the window).

Your judgement as to how much the builder will bend, but I would shoot for a single fan properly sized, and I would want the delayed off switch, standard option these days.

Bud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.