DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is any way to add 'schluter' to my existing shower tile that was installed approximately 10 years ago?

Basically, I had new tile installed recently at another home and learned about schluter and it looks great - it gives a much more finished look. Is there any thing I can do (maybe not schluter, but something else) that I can do to my already installed shower tile to give it a more finished look?

Thanks in advance!
Rectangle Wood Brick Brickwork Grey
Brown Rectangle Grey Wood Brick
Brown Wood Grey Rectangle Beige
Brown Rectangle Grey Beige Wood

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Yes. You would have to trim the schluter strip, removing the base and leaving not much more than the visible edge. Then take an oscillating saw with a carbide grit blade and cut a slot behind the installed tile. Squeeze in some thinset, carefully push the schluter in place, and tape it in position overnight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. You would have to trim the schluter strip, removing the base and leaving not much more than the visible edge. Then take an oscillating saw with a carbide grit blade and cut a slot behind the installed tile. Squeeze in some thinset, carefully push the schluter in place, and tape it in position overnight.
Thanks for this (y) I will ask the contractors who are coming into bid on some other tile work to see if they can do something like this.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Next time keep in mind that Schluter is a company, not a product. What you mean is a trim profile, made by any company.

Anyway, yeah you can do either of the suggestions above. I would probably use an angle grinder to more quickly dig out some space for it, but you have to have some experience to keep that under control (and you would need a helper with a shop vac to take away the dust.)

If you want to cut the profile, you can get one in PVC rather than metal to make it easier. Or you can do a similar thing with pencil trim tile.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next time keep in mind that Schluter is a company, not a product. What you mean is a trim profile, made by any company.

Anyway, yeah you can do either of the suggestions above. I would probably use an angle grinder to more quickly dig out some space for it, but you have to have some experience to keep that under control (and you would need a helper with a shop vac to take away the dust.)

If you want to cut the profile, you can get one in PVC rather than metal to make it easier. Or you can do a similar thing with pencil trim tile.

Thanks for this... I did not realize 'Schluter' was a company - in fact the only reason I knew this name was when I had a tile quote at my home, I told the contractor that I wanted edging or trim and he said, 'oh, you mean Schluter'. At any rate, I agree about using a PVC based one vs metal.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
Usually when people say "Schluter", they're talking about the waterproofing and tile underlayment the company makes, which is its most popular use for showers and floors (Kerdi and Ditra). If someone says they have a Schluter shower, they basically mean Kerdi.

I was ready for the more interesting question of whether you can install Kerdi over installed tile :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts