DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my attic I have a light but no outlet. Tired of running an extension cord up when I need power. The light is controlled by a switch which is not in the attic. At the light location there are 2 cables. see pic. I know the black cable goes to the switch. How would I add an outlet near here.

Attachments

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,117 Posts
If you are sure the black cable goes to the switch. Connect a 2 wire cable to the white and black of the white cable. (Should be the 2 yellow wire nuts). Connect the bare grounds together. Install a single gang box for the new receptacle.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you are sure the black cable goes to the switch. Connect a 2 wire cable to the white and black of the white cable. (Should be the 2 yellow wire nuts). Connect the bare grounds together. Install a single gang box for the new receptacle.
Positive the black cable goes to the switch. Under the red wire nut there are both whites from each cable and the black to the light. Under one yellow wire nut are both blacks from each cable. Under the other wire nut are both grounds from each cable. I drew a diagram below. The gray lines are for white wires or cables.

Attachments

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,117 Posts
Ignore my comment about the 2 yellow wire nuts based on your diagram. Use the yellow wire nut with the 2 blacks and the red wire nut with the 2 whites & the black.

While you are working on it replace that black pigtail under the red nut with a piece of white. That is a neutral and should be white.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,117 Posts
will do:thumbsup:
I have to ask. I see the feed to the 4" square box with your new receptacle from the old light fixture box. But what is the cable leaving the 4" square going out of frame? Did you add another receptacle?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have to ask. I see the feed to the 4" square box with your new receptacle from the old light fixture box. But what is the cable leaving the 4" square going out of frame? Did you add another receptacle?
I think the white cable is the feed, from right to left, then the black cable goes to the switch loop. See the diagram in post #3.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The white cable comin in at the right of the square box with the outlet is the hot feed. I pigtailed in the square box to the outlet. The white cable leaving the square box on the left is taking power to the light fixture. The black cable leaving the light goes to the switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would tack so it is neater, but that is me.
I would also move the black cable so it is farther away from the roof in case the next roofer uses longer nails and hits it. I think you want it at least 1 1/2" away.
The "Light Box" should also have cable clamps, or just get a new plastic box.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.