DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My garage has two 110V outlets for a washer and a gas dryer.

I have got a great deal on a Bosch washer & dryer (24") and would like to install a 220V outlet in the garage for the dryer.

The panel is not far from the garage and it would take some stucco work to get a conduit in.

My concern is what should I be aware / cautious of when doing this, besides the city inspection after work is complete.

p.S. The breaker box is brand new, installed when we moved in and I personally have never worked on a breaker box before, any hints / videos to learn about this would help.

Thanks in advance to all.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Are both of these 120v outlets on one cable and breaker from the panel ?
If so then you have to run a new cable from the panel
You will then have to change the single breaker to a double.
Assuming there's room in the panel
Are you sure you have 240v in your panel ?

Are you up to this brother ?

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Is the garage attached or detached?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey K_Buz - the garage is attached, but with no direct entry to the house from it.

Hey DMX and CLW1963 : I am definitely up for it, I had taken a few weeks of electrical 101 at a community college, so I did get a decent overview of the local codes / cautions on small stuff, but not the breaker. Looked up some videos on main breaker, seems alright if done safely.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
For 240v you will need two seperate hot lines as well as neutral and earth.
You most likely only have one hot line.
So you will most likely have to run a new cable from your panel.
How are the current two outlets wired ?
From one hot ?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Is there a chance you already have 240 at the box? Sometimes someone plans ahead and runs a 220 circuit to the Washer/dryer location but wires it up as 120 duplex outlets when a gas dryer is installed. If they did that it will be pretty easy to put a 240 dryer outlet in.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
For 240v you will need two seperate hot lines as well as neutral and earth.
You most likely only have one hot line.
So you will most likely have to run a new cable from your panel.
How are the current two outlets wired ?
From one hot ?

If these are European style machines you just might get away without a noodle. I have seen many 240 volt Bosch, Miele ect made washers and dryers that only need 2 hots and a ground. But any lights, or American style machines will dictate a neutral.

If this is a detached structure you will need a disconnect inside. More than 1 circuit or more than 1 shared neutral will require a sub panel.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I think the issue here is the existing dryer outlets is 120V @15A (since it only has to power motor(s), heat comes from gas) and an electric dryer needs 240V @30A.

You'll need a NEMA 14-30 receptacle, a 30A two pole breaker, and 10-3 cable. You might find running EMT conduit on the surface easier for a garage and it protects the exposed wire. In the case of EMT you'd use THHN 10 gauge wires inside the conduit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.