DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shower made of acrylic sheets approx 3/8 thick. There is a leak behind this wall. I need some advice on removing acrylic sheets without breaking them. Our bathroom has several pieces of matching acrylic sheets and it would be impossible to match. Is sheet acrylic fairly sturdy. Should I be able to cut caulking around the edges and coax the sheet off the wall in one piece. Any advice will be appreciated.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Those are usually glued with dobs of adhesive (much like a thick mirror)

Cut the caulking---then start inserting wood shims along the edge--tap them in evenly--this should pop the glue from the backer----

Be gentle and slow--add more thickness of shims if needed and keep going.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other side is wallpapered. Wife says she can't find anything that will work, color wise. The leak is somewhere between the faucets and the shower nipple. Plus I'm not sure it can be fixed from the backside.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
The other side is wallpapered. Wife says she can't find anything that will work, color wise. The leak is somewhere between the faucets and the shower nipple. Plus I'm not sure it can be fixed from the backside.
So does your wife think it's going to be easier to replace the shower surround when it breaks while trying to pry it off the wall? Like the others said, if you have a normal wall go through the backside. Anything you think you can fix from the shower side can be fixed from the other side.
Mike Hawkins

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.