DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally used white paint rather than Zinser over raw pine as the primer. Do I need to repaint primer over the paint -- or can I apply 2-3 coats of white latex paint?

·
2,392 Posts
Welcome Indian
Priming now will do nothing, nor will extra coats do anything to make up for it. It it's interior, I wouldn't worry too much. If it's exterior, I would wing it. I once accidentally painted a gutter with interior enamel and there was never a problem. These are your options
1. chemically strip it down to bare wood, sand the hell out of it to open up the pores, prime it
2. or, let it ride and properly fix any areas down the road, if and when they fail.
You decide.

·
Premium Member
7,894 Posts
With pine I like to prime it with oil-based primer to seal up knots, etc. The knots still bleed thru and usually I then spot prime with KILZ or another stain-blocking primer over those knots. As Joe said, correcting the mistake is gonna be a BIT** so let it ride and see what happens. You may luck out. If it bothers you too much you could actually go buy some new pine and start fresh.........that is, if you didn't paint a whole stack of pine with the latex paint.

P.S. You could always flip the pine over and start anew on the other side........just a thought.

·
jschaben
588 Posts
I accidentally used white paint rather than Zinser over raw pine as the primer. Do I need to repaint primer over the paint -- or can I apply 2-3 coats of white latex paint?
I think your biggest problem would be pitch bleeding through the paint. May or may not be a problem but you can apply BIN right over your paint job to seal it off. :)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
How hard would it be to get the boards off and flip them over? If you can do that you will be tarting fresh. Then you can prime with oil but spot prime any knots with BIN first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts