DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Renovation question:
I’m considering buying my parents’ home when my mom passes. This would make her happy as she wants it to stay in the family. I am concerned that the renovation I would need to feel content in this home would be too costly. Totally new kitchen, move the laundry upstairs to create a combined laundry and powder room, combine two bedrooms and add a master bathroom, new windows and siding, ... I’m pretty sure after buying the house, I won’t be able to afford those updates. Before any of that, I need to make this wheelchair accessible, and that might be over my budget, if it can even be done.

I want to connect the existing house and garage, making both wheelchair accessible. The issue is that house sets on a walkout basement which puts the house about 3’ 4” higher than the garage (ground level on this side of the property). The house and garage set side by side about 11’ 6” apart. There are steps up to the house entry, a walk space between the garage side entry door and the stairs up to the house entry, and an inclined walkway that runs the rest of the length between the house and garage, going from street level down to lawn level in front of the walkout basement.

To open up the tight floor plan, I want to remove the existing stairway inside the house and build new stairs along what is currently the exterior wall of the house in the space between the house and garage. This would require a new enclosed structure with a landing at the house floor level (3 feet above ground level) with a door into the house on the south and a door/opening to the stairs on the east. A new entry would go into the basement at the bottom of the stairs. I’m pretty sure that can be done. The area between the house and garage would need to be dug out to build a new two story structure for this stairway. Here is where it gets complicated: to make this home wheelchair accessible, there would need to be an elevator on the north side of the new enclosed landing. The elevator could be accessed at ground level from the garage, go up three feet to the landing to enter the house, and go down to basement level to enter the walkout basement. So, this new structure would run the length and width between the garage and house, match the two story house structure, serve as an entry from the driveway on the west, include stairs up to the house entry, stairs down to the basement level, and an elevator with a landing at street level, a landing up three feet to the main house floor level, and a landing down at basement floor level. I can see how this would all work from inside this new structure, providing some extra storage, possibly bumping out space from the upper level in the area over the bottom of the stairs to add on the existing bedroom, but I cannot see how this would look on the outside with the house and garage roof lines at very different levels. Is this possible? I don’t want it to be ugly. I know a residential elevator will be costly. In calculating the length of ramping needed for a wheelchair to go from street level up about 3’ 4” to enter the main house and down about 5 feet from street level to enter the basement, I don’t see that as an option.

I am hoping someone can tell me if it’s possible to enclose this space for stairs and an elevator and if it can be done so it looks good from the outside. I included two photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,418 Posts
Your going to have to make some local calls and get some real prices in your area.
Anyone on any DIY site is just going to be guessing what all this would cost.
Not sure why you think you need elevators instead of ramps, but we do not have the whole story.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
In nj and at least one town, connecting the house to the carport with simple roof made them into one structure and the property tax went up. Future cost to consider.
Wheel chair access for surviving parent or self/spouse? I really think your money will be better spent looking at houses/condo that's already handicap access. This is esp true of entire floor, bath and kitchen. There is extra cost of maintaining a house, esp yard and snow. Wheel chair during rain/snow. Family home is good but make sure it makes sense for you. Count dollars and cents of renovation, tax and buying the house (mortgage example). If you have the money, and not doing the work yourself, i don't see clinging to the house. Sorry, my sentiments.

Wheel chair access means larger entrance, entrance that is in one plane with platform, larger platform and the ramp. Photo space doesn't look you can have all those things without extensive work. Also no space unless such ugly ramp is in front.

Wheelchair living should be all on one floor. No upstairs. I'm talking about every day, every year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts