DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air conditioner unit ices up. Ice builds up in the unit itself. By that, I mean when you look beyond the fan blade you see pipes covered in ice. Pipe(s) from wall to ac covered in ice. In the house, there is ice build up on a pipe that goes into the evap coil box. I would assume the evap coils are iced up as well by the amount of water that drips down all over the furnace and then some into the hallway when it thaws.

There are no restrictions of air flow as far as the air registers go. A few years ago a couple of them had dampers installed.

My leak detector lights up when placing near evap coil box. Is there foam in there? Is that all it's reading?

Unit has been recharged 3 times in the past 4-5 years.

Please take a look at my attached photos. Is that mold in the furnace closet? (Didn't know what else to call that)

If that is mold, are mold spores being blown through the house when ac/furnace is on? If it is, is that slowly murdering me and my family? :vs_mad:
This is a single story family home. 1,230 sq ft. Southern California. I do not own it. I pay rent, have been here 8 years. I have photos from each summer of the unit with ice inside and out. Is my landlord doing the right thing by having it recharged year after year. I realize from what I have read that all HVAC systems have leaks. None are perfect. However, doesn't this seem like something more then those type of leaks? How much electricity is being wasted, how many dollars are being thrown away by this problem? I don't always notice right away that cool air is not being produced. When i go outside to look at unit and see ice, I'm not sure how long its been like that. As long as the ice is there its basically throwing money away.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Sure sounds like an evap coil leak. I had the same thing about 5 years ago and had to replace mine. Detector alerted near the evap coil and nowhere else. No ice and has never needed recharging since.

Leaks should always be repaired but depends on how bad it is. If only a pound a year maybe you recharge if you are cheap, and most landlords are. I don't know if there is a leakage limit where it is illegal to just keep recharging but the pros here will know. BTW, all systems do not have leaks. Leaky systems leak.

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
I can't tell if that's mold, as it isn't much of it, and i am not a mycologists. I would make sure that there's no standing water or moisture, so fixing your icing problem should be a priority.

Based off the sept 13, since at 68*f I wouldn't expect most to be using an A/C, your using around 15-25kwh/ day for the AC. Which is $2-5ish/day. That isn't terrible for those conditions, but not great either. However, you're right, if it's frozen, it's not doing much good.

A/Cs aren't supposed to leak. Yes they are supposed to be perfect. The US has softer laws on refilling leaky systems though. If it's a minor leak, they are allowed to keep refilling. Dunno if Cali has made it any more strict or not.

If you're not willing to fork over the money for a new unit, I doubt the landlord will. Even if you wanted a more efficient unit, when the time goes come to change it, they will likely ask you to pay for the upgrade if you demand it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the following is not true?

"Every air conditioning system leaks whether it is one ounce per year or one ounce every thousand years. The leaks are caused by cracks, bubbles, impurities, and other flaws in the brazing, joining, or manufacturing process. While they may not be detectable, they are leaks nonetheless and will eventually become detectable given enough time. The pressure, heat, and vibration from normal day-to-day operation is what causes them to become a problem."

source: http://www.hvactrainingsolutions.net/hvac-leak-detection-everything-leaks/

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
I wouldn't call it a leak if it's detectable over 30 years.

Rubber seals do end up leaking after a while. Old keepright pre-charged linesets leak a bit because of this. The rubbers in the schrader caps tend to eventually leak, but only after disturbing them. They are replaceable and cheap.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
42,360 Posts
No system should leak more then 1oz per 1 thousand years.

·
Administrator
42,360 Posts
perhaps we need to message hvactainingsolutions.net and educate them on how to educate hvac technicians. How can a website that is suppose to offer courses for hvac technicians be educating with false information?

Simple. They just want to make money.

I've never met an HVAC tech that learned online. Plus, they tell you the course will prepare you for an entry level position. A lot of money for what you get out of it.

Which by the way, is carrying the journeymen's tools, and washing coils.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts