DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Dan
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC unit, which is about 8 years old or so (2200 sq ft house), kicked on yesterday and immediately two tv's went off and then came back on..yet a couple clocks that usually go out when the power goes off briefly stayed on. The AC still came on, but the unit outside started making a really loud noise...just a constant hum that was a lot louder than normal (I could hear it from inside the house when I usually cannot hear when its running). I turned off the breaker, looked inside and didn't see anything unusual, kicked it back on and when it turned on, everything was back to normal. Thoughts on what happened?

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
W/O being there to check it properly hard to say. Probably the compressor stalled and drew a lot of power. You should get it checked ASAP by a Pro in case it is low on freon or there is a mechanical problem with the compressor etc. If you don't and it burns out the compressor then you get acid in the freon lines and it is VERY VERY expensive to clean out and repair plus replace a compressor. Over $1000 then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.