DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my AC stopped working. The thermostat fan was set to auto and that continued to blow air no problem, but after awhile I noticed it was getting warmer and warmer. I checked the AC outside and it was not working. I tripped the breakers a couple of times, and nothing.

My wife tried turning it on this morning and said the AC unit clicked like it was trying to start up, but nothing happened.

I'm hoping this is an easy fix (fuse?) Any ideas where to start?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You need push ( close ) the contactor. If condenser start to work you have to check 24Vac at contactor. Use something that does not conduct electricity to close the contactor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You need push ( close ) the contactor. If condenser start to work you have to check 24Vac at contactor. Use something that does not conduct electricity to close the contactor.

I had to Google Contactor and see what you mean. Now what exactly do you mean by pushing it closed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

You need pushing this. :thumbsup:

Reactions: sipperphoto

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet! Thanks!

So, cut the power, use something non-conductive (a stick, etc?) and just push that back in place?

Seems a fairly easy fix. I'll keep ya'll updated on how it goes when I get to it later tonite when I get off work.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
No fix yet. We're only troubleshooting. Let me know what happen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No fix yet. We're only troubleshooting. Let me know what happen.

Ok, I tried pushing in the contactor. Is it normally a bit springy? Turned the power back on and then thermostat over to auto. The inside fan starts up, but the AC unit isn't doing anything.

Edit: I pushed it again with the power on. Something started to make a noise for about 5 seconds, and then stopped. No movement.

Now what?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
When you push ( close ) the contactor fan and compressor should start running. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To add to the last post. I left the Thermo on Auto for about 5 minutes. The AC unit sounded like it wanted to start, but didn't. Made a noise again like it was going to start up.

Reminds me a bit of when a battery in a car is about to die... just that whhhhrrrrr kinda noise... last about 5 seconds and then stops.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you push ( close ) the contactor fan and compressor should start running. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

I have one but the battery is dead in it. Uses some odd shaped battery... size N I think. What would be my next step if it was up and running?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

IN should be your line voltage
OUT - Should be the same as line voltage with contactor close and 0v with contactor open

you should have 24vac when the thermostat calls for cooling. If you have 24vac but the contactor don't close you have to check if the coil is open.

does your system have 1 or 2 capacitor?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

IN should be your line voltage
OUT - Should be the same as line voltage with contactor close and 0v with contactor open

you should have 24vac when the thermostat calls for cooling. If you have 24vac but the contactor don't close you have to check if the coil is open.

does your system have 1 or 2 capacitor?

I'm only seeing one capacitor in there. Here is a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Replace your capacitor....It's BAD :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The top cover ( 3 connectors ) should be flat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet! Easy fix... and not too costly! :thumbsup:

You guys rule!

Thanks so much! I'll update you when I get a new one installed.

Anything I should know about installing a new capacitor? It looks like a fairly easy switch out.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Do not use your hand to disconnect the wires. Discharging a capacitor means taking safety precautions and dissipating the energy from a capacitor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do not use your hand to disconnect the wires. Discharging a capacitor means taking safety precautions and dissipating the energy from a capacitor.

That's about what I figured... I'm a photographer, by trade, and work with big strobe packs with capacitors in them. I've seen a couple explode over the years, and even know a guy that lost a finger when he had 2000 watts arc out on him :)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Cool, I'm a photographer also. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts