DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my sons house and trying to get the air on. It went from 40's to 80's and HIGH humidty in 2 days.

To start with first time on and furnace ran but dont think compressor outside did on his about 10 year old Trane air. Checked Buss 50 NON's and both were blown.

went and got new ones of same and put them in,,,air tried kicking in a short time later and bam,,,one side is blown again.

Do I have compressor probs OR should I have bought the expensive TIME DELAY 50's???

Ran fine when shut off last year,,,why not now??? Anything else "I" can check with my multimeter before a pro gets called?? Strange thing is when I was checking continuity when the last fuse blew the multimeter wanted to read backwards,,,was that backfeed from the other side?? Never saw that happen before.

any help appreciated,,,its hot,,,guess I still have my winter oil in me. --d--

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes

when I pull disconnect at comp. blk of mutimeter on ground,,red on hot legs to compressor,,,both sides have continuity,,,means compressor is shorted out, no? time for new one???,,,thanks for all the quick help

there was a close lightning strike when it hit the tree in front yard last fall /year,,is there a connection?? homeowners insurance help possible?

·
HVAC Tech/Owner
640 Posts
when I pull disconnect at comp. blk of mutimeter on ground,,red on hot legs to compressor,,,both sides have continuity,,,means compressor is shorted out, no? time for new one???,,,thanks for all the quick help

there was a close lightning strike when it hit the tree in front yard last fall /year,,is there a connection?? homeowners insurance help possible?
That doesn't prove anything. Winding resistance is only a few ohms...........Call someone.

·
Administrator
41,834 Posts
Could be a shorted out capacitor. the test you did, could be showing a shorted capacitor, or condenser fan motor, or compressor, or a wire is shorted. A check for grounded windings, has to be done on components when they are disconnected from all other devices.

·
Registered
94 Posts
4just1don said:

Pull disconnect check for voltage, pull wires off pecker head at compressor and then check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts