DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2 car garage 26x24 and i want keep it cool what would be the cheapest route to air condition it. currently there are no windows or walk out door, just a 16' garage door and attic access above.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Is there insulation in the walls & ceiling?
Is the garage door insulated?
Where are you located?
How cool do you want it to be?

Easiest method is a window AC
I built mine into the wall
Size depends upon location, how cool you want it to be
I had a 24k AC that kept a 600+ sq ft open floor house cold

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am located in illinois and yes the walls, ceiling, and door are insulated. i just want it cool enough to work in. for the window unit do you suggest just installing a window and putting the unit there rather than just cutting a hole into the outside wall

·
Registered
297 Posts
i am located in illinois and yes the walls, ceiling, and door are insulated. i just want it cool enough to work in. for the window unit do you suggest just installing a window and putting the unit there rather than just cutting a hole into the outside wall

If you go with a "window" scenerio, use a "Thru the Wall" unit. They make regular window shakers that at specifically designed for the depths of walls, unlike most window units that are designed for shallow window wells.

Since you are in Illinois (as am I), are you planning on needing heat as well? If so, and you don't want to break your budget, check out the PTAC unit (think Hotel). That way you have both and will not be spending the bucks that come with a ductless. All that is required is a 42x16 hole in the wall and power.

Good luck.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
I have found the wall units to be much more expensive then the window units. I've built 5 units into the walls at 2 houses & over 12 years they have all worked fine. I cut a hole, frame it out, install the AC & seal it. For the winter the are covered inside & out
We don't need a lot of AC up here. But we've had some hot spells where the AC runs for a wek at a time

You have about 624 sq ft of space - 8' ceiling?
So around a 14k BTU
You may want to go slightly larger in order to coll the garage down faster when you need it

Energy Star sizing sheet:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=roomac.pr_properly_sized

1 - 6 of 6 Posts