DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For better half of this last month I have been fighting my central AC Unit in the attic space due to constant overflow from my primary into my secondary’s drip pan. Since then I have vacuumed out the primary line of any growth and cleaned the best I could. However, the float switch is constantly setting off my AC. I personally think whoever did the duct work in my attic space may be the cause of this, as I had just recently moved into this house. Could I get some opinions from you experienced members in HVAC? I’ll attack some pictures of what I find suspicious.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would pull off the evaporator coil cover and see if there is any gunk clogging the outlet to the main line. I've had this happen before causing water to enter the secondary pan when there wasn't anything wrong with the main drain.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I fixed mine. Turn off the system shut off the circuit breaker first. The TIME SAVER HERE IS: do not cut the sheet metal. Taking the shroud off the right way should be far quicker than cutting a flap for access. There is a "tacky shroud" around the box where the box meets the vents. REMOVE THAT FIRST: and yes homedepot sells those.

Technicians very sloppily install drip pans. The drain pipe may not be sitting direct into the pan, the flaps may not be bent so water can get from on pan to the other (the exit is often only on one side, the two sides of the pan are connected). Maybe even "larger flap" (the whole vertical of the pan) may be bend the wrong way. IN ALL: IT'S A REALLY EASY FIX, JUST WITH A LONG SCREWDRIVER, but you have to have good access to fix it :)

If you are patient and remove the shroud and box right this will be an easy job. If you rush and cut metal - it will take longer be more frustrating and less "sellable".

·
Registered
312 Posts
I may have got you wrong? If you mean "allot of water is coming out" ? It looks like a gravity feed to me (no hvac condensation pump involved). No dripping onto the hvac control board involved.

I'm unsure how your water would be "tainted" unless your filter isn't good or your drain is "open to the attic" at some point then goes "back into a pipe". Your drain for an hvac should be: falls clean from radiator/evaporator fins, falls into pan, pan pours into pipe WITHOUT ANY LEAK or drip into hvac unit, that pipe has a slight decline (say, 1/4" per foot drop) on the horizontal until the drop down the floors. Now: this system isn't allowed to be part of any other drain (not connected to your gutter or anything else).

You DO NOT necessarily need a J (a trap). Traps are for drain gasses and you have none - it would be superstition to install a J on the drain.

So: the photos all looks ok to me. And your description doesn' make sense. How would you know if a primary or secondary drain pan was full unless they were "open".

If you DO have a pump pumping into a bucket, sounds like you need a bigger bucket. But really: that's not a good install. Either the bucket should have a tight lid or it should be a gravity feed all the way. HVAC pumps typically have their own enclosure (which are partly open to the air but usually are clean inside - in a basement anyhow).

The pump unit should come on frequently though. Don't mind that.

The muck your cleaning: i'm unsure if your a clean freak or have mice. The water should be clean or maybe your filters aren't filtering the air and the evaporator fins are dirty ? (don't clean your fins - it doesn't take much to make them leak! have a service person do it!)

·
Registered
312 Posts
my "dislike" with the bucket is a hot attack with water buck sounds like inviting moisture bugs slugs in the attic, i see the fiberglass insulation (it molds, you have to protect it somewhat with vents in the attic)

perhaps it's a typical install for ... some companies.

"float switch is constantly setting off my AC." now this means nothing. the float switch does NOT set off the AC. i guarantee you that.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
my "dislike" with the bucket is a hot attack with water buck sounds like inviting moisture bugs slugs in the attic, i see the fiberglass insulation (it molds, you have to protect it somewhat with vents in the attic)

perhaps it's a typical install for ... some companies.

"float switch is constantly setting off my AC." now this means nothing. the float switch does NOT set off the AC. i guarantee you that.
Please stop posting in the hvac section. Your posts are rambling and incoherent, and show you really have absolutely no clue what your talking about. Your posts do nothing more then confuse those that are here looking for help. You should first read and learn before offering advice on a subject that you have very little working knowledge on.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm "super wondering about "the pump". you should have one or two pumps (if you need two) dump straight into a down pipe: NO BUCKET. I don't know if you have a pump.

I DO HAVE A COMMENT ON THE DUCTS: those look like they may be "those flexible ducts", they are really thin aluminum. They are very expensive yet easy to tear. Don't be rough with those ducts unless they are the thick metal ones.

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
Please stop posting in the hvac section. Your posts are rambling and incoherent, and show you really have absolutely no clue what your talking about. Your posts do nothing more then confuse those that are here looking for help. You should first read and learn before offering advice on a subject that you have very little working knowledge on.

·
Registered
688 Posts
What the hell is with that guy @argile_tile. Hate to be mean but I agree with everyone you are a ramblin' fool!

This is the problem with DIY forums unfortunately. A bunch of DIY'ers making themselves out like experts because they stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would pull off the evaporator coil cover and see if there is any gunk clogging the outlet to the main line. I've had this happen before causing water to enter the secondary pan when there wasn't anything wrong with the main drain.
I pulled off the A Coil cover and looked inside. The A coil appears to be quite clean, and the outlets appear so as well. I guess this may indeed be a problem with drainage rather than the AC unit itself for once. I was just skeptical and obviously not in the HVAC field. I will be calling to have my lines slope fixed since this is a rather old house, unless anyone has better ideas. Thanks for the advice! Also, I did note a little frost on the tubes, nothing substantial as to be expected.

·
Registered
8,993 Posts
That coil does look clean. What he meant was to look at where the drain connects to the pan inside. Sometimes garbage can block the entrance. I don't see any frost in those pictures. Frost is only normal if you pulled the panel of with it still running.

Cheers!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yeah what supers05 said.

Can't see the drain area in the pictures. I would try running it for a bit and once it builds up water and starts "draining", pull the cover off and see if water is flowing down the main drain. You can also unscrew the pvc plug sticking up on the drain to verify that water is flowing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts