DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rheem condenser unit. About once every other day, the condenser fan will stop running even though the the rest of the AC system is still running (at which point the AC blows warm air). I can make everything run correctly again if I turn the AC off with the thermostat and then turn the breaker off and back on for condenser unit. After doing this when I turn the AC back on the condenser fan will run with no issues.

Is this a fan motor issue or could it be something else?

·
Registered
12,810 Posts
see if the compressor is shutting off too.

·
Registered
12,810 Posts
listen to it, makes a distinct noise. compressor is usually louder than the fan.

if the outdoor unit is dead silent when it happens the shut down is related to the low voltage circuit - either a problem there or pressure switch/safety shutting it down to prevent damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It happened again. The unit outside is completely silent. Is there something obvious to try that might fix this?

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Check with your meter. Is the outdoor unit getting a call to run when this happens?
There is no certain part to buy and throw at the issue. You’ll have to do some troubleshooting and diagnostic work first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts