DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today that the AC return,one of two has pulled away from
the metal enclosure on the ceiling where the filter is.

I am looking at it from below and it appears that the round return duct is pulling the square box made of fiberglass duct panels up and away from one side of the metal flange that the filter grille goes in. I was able to put some tape on the round duct work flexible tube from the bottom and pull the box back down to where the filter is.

I will go up tomorrow when its cool and take a look. My question is this. What holds the duct box down to the metal filter flange on the ceiling my guess would be the flange is suppose to be taped to the duct box. But just guessing.

Any help would be appreciated. Too dam hot up there to go up any other time
except early in the morning.

Larry

South Florida

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good news. I was able to do all the repairs from a ladder in the house and not in the attic. Here is how it was set up. Box made up of duct board with round
flexible return connected to the top. There is a galvanized tin flange that slips over the bottom of the duct box. It is used to connect the duct work to the ceilings drywall from inside the attic. It comes down even with the inside surface. The AC filter grille screws into that galvanized flange and that holds the grille to the ceiling. The fix was to simply remove the grille,push the galvanized flange and duct box up into the attic and then tape the duct box with aluminum duct tape to the flange. Replace the flange into the hole and I also taped the flange to the drywall so I could screw the grille back in place....
It went back together really really air tight.

Larry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts