DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. I'm trying to have the maximum torque on a shredding motor that can run off of a regular household plug (15amp). I've been buying all kinds of motors to no end. Any suggestions on what is possible? My goal is maximum torque (lb-in) with RPM's around 40 if possible, but can settle at 25 if need be. Need forward and reverse, etc. I'm connecting it to an industrial grade shredder and i just can't find out the limit.

A parallel shaft, single phase is what i've been using. If there is a simple formula, i'm all ears. I'm just terrible with electrical stuff. Your help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
You need a gearmotor, which is a motor with a gear reducer mounted on the end. Any gearmotor will have output RPM and torque stamped on the nameplate. I don't know how much torque you are looking for, but most common 115VAC motor speed is 1800 RPM, so gear reducer would have 45:1 ratio on it if has 40 RPM output speed. Parallel shaft gearmotors are common.

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
I'm trying to have the maximum torque on a shredding motor that can run off of a regular household plug (15amp).
That's going to limit you to 1/2 HP maximum.

Any suggestions on what is possible?
You may derive the maximum torque available using the standard horsepower formula of:

HP = (Torque x RPM)/5252

Torque solves to:

Torque = (5252 x HP)/RPM

Using the .5 HP and the stated RPMs yields:

40 RPM - 65.65 lb-ft
25 RPM - 105.04 lb-ft

Actual shaft horsepower after the reduction gearing will be less so the torque will be lower as well, but this gives you an idea of what is possible.

·
Registered
997 Posts
if you dont want any gearbox than go into stepper motors they produce a lot of torque at low rpm but they need drivers, power supply,...

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
For this application a gear motor is the very best suggestion.
You get a base shaft output speed you can count on and a gear motor of this size would be very inexpensive.
Attach a cord and plug and connect the load and off you go.

https://electricmotorwarehouse.com/parallel-shaft-115v-208-230-460v-482-series/

This link is just an example. A Google search for AC gear motor will provide everything you need.
Make sure it is reversible and get the switch at the same time you buy the gear motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts