DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am replacing my garbage disposal with a InSinkErator Badger 5, which comes with an ABS discharge tube. My existing drain pipes are metal. How do I connect the ABS discharge tube to the metal drain pipe? I am assuming that blue stuff is ABS cement. Is the existing pipe going to stay cemented to the metal? What do I need to buy at my big box store to go with this install? I am also concerned because based on the following pic from the Badger 5 instructions, the new discharge pipe looks like it does not travel as far horizontally before the drop, meaning it will not line up with the existing pipe. Can I just loosen the metal pipes and adjust their angles to make everything fit, and then re-tighten, or is there some kind of glue involved in their connections, too?

The photo above is of the existing setup. The illustration below is from the instructions for the new disposal.

Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,110 Posts
My advise is to buy a better disposer than Badger. Buy an Insinkerator with a SS grind chamber. Badger is made by Insinkerator but IMO, they are junk.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I would replace the drain pipes as well. They look rough and are fairly cheap. Probably would be easier to install new than to get the old to stop leaking after you mess with it. You can just add a tailpiece if it's too ahort

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.