DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will more watts consume more electrical power ?. I am trying to get me an Air Conditioner but the electrical network in the apartment can only hold few appliances. Will lesser watts on the Air Conditioner contribute to less consuming thus allowing me to plug more appliances during hot summer days.
Sorry about my ignorance.
Thank you much

:help:

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
You are charged for electricity by the "Watt Hour". Amps while in the equation mean little in this question.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
What the others said.

I'll also add:
Watts= power. So less watts = less amps = less power used.
So obviously less watts equals less cooling.

Optimally, you need to get a unit that you can plug in without overloading the circuit, yet will provide adequate cooling.

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
the electrical network in the apartment can only hold few appliances.
Will lesser watts on the Air Conditioner contribute to less consuming thus allowing me to plug more appliances during hot summer days.
Look at the appliance nameplates to see how many amps each draws.

You might need heavy duty extension cords to apportion your usage among the breakers and the outlets that are fed by them so you don't exceed any one breaker's capacity. Using these cords is not as good as plugging directly into outlets, but what is your choice?

You might want to research a 'soft start' window AC.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Too small a unit in terms of cooling capacity can run more than a properly sized unit of larger capacity netting an increase in electric usage. However I understand you are more interested in the watts consumed at any given time vs. overall power usage.

First see if a properly sized unit in terms of cooling capacilty will meet your power draw restrictions, if so you are good. If not, you may have to make a compromise by getting a smaller cooling capacity unit. But obviously you have to have a unit that will provide the desired cooling benefit else all is a waste.

Look for higher effiency units - more cooling BTU per running watts consumed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts