DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see all the time on the TV shows, guys will abandon a 220v circuit by tying the red/black together to form a short and leaving the breaker turned off... this seems counter intuitive to me, so...

What is the idea behind this practice?
What building code are they using?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Where did you hear of that one---that's just not a 'common practice'---when a line is abandoned the wires are disconnected from the breaker--and capped---never tied together.

Never heard of creating a 220 dead short intentionally.

Reactions: hpp58

·
Super Moderator
15,366 Posts
I have heard this before and think it is stupid. Remove the wiring or cap in an accessible junction box.

Reactions: electures

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
Wirenut each wire seperately. You don't have to, but you can also disconnect the wire from the breaker. In the future you may need it again or as a 120V circuit.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
Can you give the names of the shows or the show hosts?

Unused wires should not be cut off or tied together. They should be saved in place for future use, and disconnected from the circuit breakers..

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
Can you give the names of the shows or the show hosts?

Unused wires should not be cut off or tied together. They should be saved in place for future use, and disconnected from the circuit breakers..
Yeh, Holmes.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Is there a code reference for that?
That part I have to dig it up however it boil down to more common sense what ya doing with abanoned cable or conductors I always just put a wirenuts or tape them out indivually.

Merci,
Marc

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
That part I have to dig it up however it boil down to more common sense what ya doing with abanoned cable or conductors I always just put a wirenuts or tape them out indivually.

Merci,
Marc
Ha, I don't think that was intended to be a serious question! :jester:

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
Is there a code reference for that?
None. Just commen sense. If the wires are shorted and somebody throws the breaker.......BOOM! It'll scare the crap out of someone for sure.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts