DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Jack of all - master none
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently relocated my laundry room from the main level to a new room in the basement. I am going to get started on redoing the room that used-to hold the washer and dryer - it will now be a mudroom. I left the plumbing, gas, and 220v electric in place, as the next owner may wish to put the washer and dryer back upstairs.

However, there is a utility sink in the corner that I want to replace with a vanity style cabinet and sink combo. There is a floor drain directly below this sink, which would be covered by the cabinetry. What should I do about that floor drain? I don't think I should just plop the cabinet on top of it, as eventually that trap will dry up and possibly put odors into the room. I suppose the same question goes for the drain line in the laundry-box? Is there a way to seal it without permanently abandoning it? It wouldn't do anyone much use in the future if I left the water, gas, and electric lines accessible with no drain for the washer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Remove the strainer on top. Clean the inside visible surface of the drain. Get a plastic disk that almost fits, and caulk it so it stays in place. Note: The caulk will stick better if the disk fits in the drain slightly below the floor surface.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
A rubber plug which is expandable can be used to seal the drain so it can be covered up. By code here the drain is not allowed to be covered so as not to be accessible in the future for plumbing repairs. I'm sorry but the only name I can think of now for these plugs is a common name we used in the field when I did this type of work: "Butt plug", I know, that not very nice but maybe someone here will chime in with the correct name.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts