DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Project Addict
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got our house and garage reroofed for many bucks. While working in my newly roofed garage, I ran some Romex along the roof (between skip sheeting) and used romex staples to secure the cable. After about 8 of them, I realized that I penetrated the OSB sheathing and possibly the new shingles. What now?

Should I just leave it alone?
Should I remove and apply roof patch?
Should I remove and figure the nails are small enough that water won't enter?

Thanks for advice and I fully expect some DIY shaming.

Tim

·
4,080 Posts
I just measured a white plastic romex staple nail for #14/12 NM cable. When the nail is driven tight to the plastic head of the staple, the point of the nail will be .900 in. long = a cat whisker over 7/8 of an inch going out of the back of the staple head. So if your roof has 1/2 -9/16 in. thick OSB...yep you have penetrated the shingles.

Maybe a roofer will be along to help here, but for now... I would not pull them out.

·
4,080 Posts
Yeah, what Car said. And don't ever nail electrical cables close to the underside of a roof. As whenever close lightning strikes hit, the energized field from the super high voltage electrical charges can literally energize the bare copper wire in the cable. Been there...done that. JMO

·
Super Moderator
12,868 Posts
Thanks for the kindly stated input. I will follow the plan and re-route the Romex.
Someone needs to go up top and verify how deep the penetrations actually are.

If you can't see anything poking through then great but I'd still pop up a few tabs to see if the staples are poking through the undercourse portion of the shingles.

If they have penetrated the undercourse and into the finish layer then I'd repair it. If not then I'd leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If you find that you penetrated through the shingles, caulking is not the fix, especially on a brand new roof. If you roof was due for replacement in a year or 2 caulking would be fine.
You would need to have the shingles replaced if you want it done properly and last the life of the roof.
If you only poked into the Underlayment and not through the shingles, there is no need to repair it.
It's not a big deal either way, just an oops and some money flying out of your wallet.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yeah, what Car said. And don't ever nail electrical cables close to the underside of a roof. As whenever close lightning strikes hit, the energized field from the super high voltage electrical charges can literally energize the bare copper wire in the cable. Been there...done that. JMO
Not to mention a future roofer shouldn't have even think his nails could penetrate an electrical line.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just got our house and garage reroofed for many bucks. While working in my newly roofed garage, I ran some Romex along the roof (between skip sheeting) and used romex staples to secure the cable. After about 8 of them, I realized that I penetrated the OSB sheathing and possibly the new shingles. What now?

Should I just leave it alone?
Should I remove and apply roof patch?
Should I remove and figure the nails are small enough that water won't enter?

Thanks for advice and I fully expect some DIY shaming.

Tim

If it were me, I’d pull one and see if I saw daylight. Then I’d push a marker (weedwacker string or a small nail) up thru the hole. Then from outside caulk the holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts