DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Many years ago I was working in a computer room on an Army post. This was the kind that had a raised floor that the power and other wires were run under. I was pushing this section of liquidtite from one side of the room toward the PDU (essentially a cabinet with a step-down transformer and three QO panels in it). What I hadn't noted was that the conduit was riding on top of other conduits and got into the PDU and touched the terminals on the transformer. The breaker on the transformer tripped (500A three phase thing) and I noted that all the emergency stop lights were also out. These were fed by a separate breaker/transformer on the primary side of the PDU.

A minute later the computer guys showed up to ask what had gone on and if I was OK. I told them I was fine but someone needed to go retrieve the master key because the breaker on the substation had tripped and we needed to reset that. I was lucky that I was handling the plastic part of the conduit. The metal fitting at the end of the conduit had the nut welded to the threads.

The next day a sign appeared on the door saying "Ron's Welding Service -- Arc Welding a specialty."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts