DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a water filter (e.g., an under-sink filter) so I could safely drink hot water from the tap? I was warned about sediments, and that this is not a good idea. But with a filter that can work with hot water, I think this would be possible.

·
Super Moderator
22,468 Posts
Hot water is potable before it goes in the tank. It is still potable when it comes out heated. What's the problem with drinking hot water from the tap?

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
The Journal of Environmental Health

If the above mentioned journal's information is through scientific research with credits published, in my opinion it would have merit. If not it's often just blab of someone wanting to be published.

·
Registered
22,844 Posts
There are electric kettles that work quickly, and immersion coils to heat water in cups. It might be easier.

·
Premium Member
11,967 Posts
IMO, drinking hot tap water is less hazardous than touching a doorknob in a public restroom......

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
Registered
857 Posts
There are high-temperature water filters but they're very expensive. They're used more in industrial settings.

At home, it would be more economical to buy an under-the-sink water filter (filters particulates and chlorine). Connect the water filter to a hot and cold water dispenser faucet. One tubing from the filter connects to the cold water valve of the faucet. The other line connects to the hot water valve. When the hot water valve is open, it feeds water into a heater tank (also under the sink) which then displaces nearly boiling water out of the faucet spout.

It's not too expensive. A 3M Filtrete 3US-PF01 is ~$25. I bought a Waste King H711-U-SN hot water dispenser from Amazon Warehouse Deals for ~105 back in 2013 to replace an old leaking Insinkerator. The heater tank is 5/8 gal and it came with a nice-looking faucet (single lever only). I bought a separate new double-lever West Brass faucet off eBay for ~$70. The instant hot water is very useful, not just for drinking, but for quick cleaning of a lot of things. Having room temp (or cold, depending on the season) filtered water readily available from a faucet is very convenient when filling pots with water for cooking, washing vegies/fruits, filling water bottles, watering my plants, etc.

----
Note: Regular prices of instant hot water heater tanks and dispensers are much much higher $300 to $400+ and $200+. I tend to shop around and find online stores selling new old stock. That's how I'm able to get the low prices above.
----

If you have an icemaker in your freezer and if you can manage it, the under-the-sink water filter can also supply filtered water to the icemaker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts