DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new range as our old one has run out and I am taking the opportunity to replace the circuit which should have been done long ago. The way it was done by the PO is that there is a floating/unsecured 30amp surface mount receptacle with the wire coming up through the floor. The wire is a 3 conductor, no ground #6 cloth covered wire that is a massive diameter for some reason. It is then spliced to a #8 just before it enters the panel. It wasn't really in bad shape so I wasn't super concerned with it, but totally not up to code and it showed. It also only has a 30amp breaker, which all things considered was probably a good thing! Never tripped when being used.

Anyway, the new stove calls for a 40 amp, so bought some 8/3, a 50 amp surface mount receptacle, 50a cord, and a 40a breaker.

A few questions:
1.) I plan on reusing the hole in the floor for the new 8/3 wire. I believe code calls for this to be protected through the floor, but what exactly would I use to protect it and is it really necessary? I am thinking not so much as long as I secure it to a joist right after it passes through the floor and I will be affixing the surface mount to the wall, so it's not going to move.

2.) Speaking of attaching to the joists - what size staples would I use for 8/3? I cannot find information on anything below 10/3 anywhere.

Finally, just out of curiosity, here is the "this can't be up to code" question. I wouldn't do this, but I happened to come across this guy's video and, to me, it looks like his range is being supplied with doubled-up 12/3. This can't be code or safe can it? Check it out:

·
Registered
775 Posts
WELLLLLLLLL.....
as far as safety goes the POCO doubles up feeders all the time. my 1600A grounded B service has 6 wires instead of 3 unmanageable monsters.

is this cool for a home? not a chance. should be at least doubled up 10/3 + G :surprise: :vs_mad: :vs_OMG: :vs_laugh: :vs_smirk: :crying: :devil3:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
2.) Use a strap clamp to secure the 8/3 cable to the joist.

No, paralleling smaller conductors than 1/0 according to NEC. That doesn't mean it won't work, just that it might cause a fire under certain conditions... such as when on wire developed a bad connection. Don't do it.

Strap Clamps

·
Super Moderator
14,605 Posts
You can come into the back of the surface mount and secure it to the floor. No exposed cable.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

·
Registered
563 Posts
Video in post #1 - is definitely wrong and dangerous.

There are very few videos on youtube that are actually correct to follow the advise. Mainly stick with ones like from "This Old House". There are one or two more guys out there, can't think of their names right now that are pretty good. But many of these DIYers think because when they turn the power back on it works (for now) it is done correctly, to code and is safe - wrong answer. I sit and watch some of these videos on youtube and yell at them as they mess up what they are doing or giving the wrong instructions or advise. Good way to pass a few hours and have some fun but unfortunately the common home owner trying to save a few dollars by watching some hack attempt an install is scary to say the least.

You can do some research on the Internet and then watch some videos and learn the dos and don'ts of electrical installation at home but you have to be very careful and have an understanding of what and why you are doing something not just follow step by step of some of these hacks.

Actually I think the baby in this video had better ideas of how to do it than the dad did :glasses:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts