DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Naildriver
12,339 Posts
There's no need to do it on solid wire. You can make a successful shepherd's crook on solid wire and it doesn't need to protrude past the screw head.

What safety features do you think one or two wraps of tape will give you? Answer very little. The tape is too thin to provide any real time protection. The receptacles should not be pulled from the box without removing power anyway. Wrapping in tape just shows insecurity in the installation.

Reactions: bob22

·
Registered
549 Posts
Any tape indicates sloppiness, the use of blue painters tape has em wondering if the guy is an electrician at all.

·
Licenced Electrician
1,399 Posts
Blue tape to match the back of the receptacle. Very trendy. Helps to keep any heat in the receptacle.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Agree on the tape, you can see the tape stretch at the bottom corner, which painters tape wouldn't do. Also looks smooth, not textured like painters tape. Just looks like blue electrical tape to me—it does come in all sorts of colors.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Using tape shows signs of your insecurity.

ok Dr Frued.

It’s not painters tape. It’s blue electrical tape.

You people are ridiculous

I’m installing an AC circuit today which will terminate in a metal old work box using Madison bars

It’s definitely getting taped.

think I’ll use yellow tape.

maybe even brown. Orange ?

maybe duct tape or scotch tape Ha !!!

Now I realize why I left this place. Bunch of hacks with expert opinions.

stay well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the end of the wire gets close to the metal box, its going to arc.
No it won't. The electrician starts his wire stripping, about an inch and a 1/4 from the end. He then slides the insulation off about 3/4". Leaving the "tail" of insulation on. The actual copper wire is recessed inside the insulation 1/2". This serves the purpose of keeping the stranded wire from fraying when it's tightened under the screw.

I do it all the time when I run across a cheap receptacle without side wired "pressure clamp" for the wires.

Not a code violation.

Steve
JW electrician

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Best and easiest way to terminate stranded wire. For those who say they do not do it, show us how you do it.
That tail does not have wire exposed. Its inside the insulation. This my friends is how its done.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Using tape shows signs of your insecurity.

ok Dr Frued.

It’s not painters tape. It’s blue electrical tape.

You people are ridiculous

I’m installing an AC circuit today which will terminate in a metal old work box using Madison bars

It’s definitely getting taped.

think I’ll use yellow tape.

maybe even brown. Orange ?

maybe duct tape or scotch tape Ha !!!

Now I realize why I left this place. Bunch of hacks with expert opinions.

stay well.
This is called DIY for a reason.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
For those who say they do not do it, show us how you do it.
Strip the insulation, give the conductors a quick twist to be sure they are not frayed, bend them around the screwdriver shaft, slip under the screw head and tighten. Or use solid wire.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Strip the insulation, give the conductors a quick twist to be sure they are not frayed, bend them around the screwdriver shaft, slip under the screw head and tighten. Or use solid wire.
Thats the hack way. I learned the proper way within 1 year of my apprenticeship. In fact I think we invented the proper way to connect stranded wire to side screws on devices....lol The only time I do not make tails is with pressure plate terminals.
Show a pic of that twisted wrap, We could use a good laugh.

You know ... of all the things we argue about here, this (tape) has got to be one of the most senseless.
You're not in this trade are you? Another task learned before my first year was over. Tape is hack and it is messy and a pain in the ass for the next guy that comes in behind you.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
No, you learned the way your instructors taught you. I would like to see you quote an NEC section that says one way or the other is better, or one is wrong.
No one said one word about the NEC. But since you bring it up, it does say that all work will be accomplished in a neat and workman like manner.
Articles 110.12, 640.6, 640.22, 640.43, 720.11, 725.6, 760.6, 770.8, 800.6, 820.6, and 830.7 each have a statement to the effect that circuits and equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.
I am not saying your hack method is against code as you may be a magician and can do it neat. But 99% of terminations with stranded conductors performed this way are not neat and it shows big time.

Twisting and trying to make a hook with stranded wire is not neat and by no means a workman like manner. (I know its done every day)
There is no neat way to terminate stranded other than using crimp lugs. So either buy crimp lugs or do it right with out crimp lugs.
I also never said it was wrong. I said it was hack.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
No one said one word about the NEC.
You’re the one on your high horse telling the world your way is the only way. And before you start using spade lugs you need to verify it is accepted by the BO in your area ... some claim they don't meet code.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
You’re the one on your high horse telling the world your way is the only way. And before you start using spade lugs you need to verify it is accepted by the BO in your area ... some claim they don't meet code.
High horse? Seems you are the one wanting to argue. Several licensed electricians here have said what they do. Clearly your method is obsolete. We worked this out many years ago. Many years ago.
I would not use a crimp lug on a device. I mention it as its the neatest way. Great connection. No strands sticking out.
Anyone who told you a listed lug does not meet code has zero idea about what they are saying. I never said spade lugs. Maybe I meant ring lugs?
This whole thread was about the method. The method is fine. We do it that way and have done it that way for many years.
I asked you before. Are you an electrician or in the trade?

·
Deleted Member
699 Posts
Also... What's up with the tape comment?
I haven't been here in years and everyone always bad mouthed when someone put tape on a device. Jeez.. get over it. especially in a metal box and especially like in this scenario where more than likely someone needs to pull it out to sheet rock (as the OP did) and you want to stop it from shorting or hurting someone..
OK as you were.
Yeah ! If only there was some sort of switch set up to turn things off when you work on them, then we wouldn't need to tape them.
They could put all the switches in a central location, like near the service entrance 😂

21 - 40 of 45 Posts